Chad Harris

Default How to type the legal squiggle § that means "section"

I have been puzzled by this for a while. If you need to make the legal
squiggle that means section, the standard keyboard down't have it yet I see
it all the time from law offices. I'm running Word 2003 from MOS 2003 and
Win XP Pro SP2 on this box.

The Squiggle I'm referring to is talked about here in this thread:

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=457182

This is what it looks like from a paste: §

Since I don't have the key, can I add the legal squiggle somewhere? Can I
get it from some Font store in XP--I don't remember seeing it there. If I
type "control fonts" in the run box, I don't see it in the list of Fonts
from the CPL folder.

BTW I find the Pleadings Wizard that MSFT provides so rigid and unflexible
I don't use it. More time and trouble than it's worth. I have no idea what
law offices do, and maybe someone familiar with this will tell me. I will
also try to look in the *Payne Word For Law Firms* book, and see if there is
a clue there.

Tia,

Chad Harris

Greg

Chad,

You can apply it with Insert Symbol or the keyboard shortcut ALT+0167
using the NUMLOCK key and the num keypad.

Chad Harris

Greg and Ace_It--

Thanks so much for this information. I wonder if there are links for
reference that have more run commands that work in Word and Office and also
more keyboard shortcuts that produce symbols. I really appreciate this info
that I hadn't picked up before.

Chad Harris
_______________________

"Chad Harris" wrote:

[...]

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/InsertSpecChars.htm for a number of
different ways of inserting this and other special characters. Although
there is no built-in keyboard shortcut for this symbol, you can easily add
one. Or you can just remember 00A7, Alt+X.

"Chad Harris" wrote in message
[...]

Chad Harris

Suzzne--as always thanks very much and thanks for the link. I understand
what you mean about making a key (adding the ability) able to type that
symbol also. At least I think that's what you mean. How do I designate a
key to do that though?

Chad Harris
______________________

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/InsertSpecChars.htm for a number of
different ways of inserting this and other special characters. Although
there is no built-in keyboard shortcut for this symbol, you can easily add
one. Or you can just remember 00A7, Alt+X.

so
all may benefit.

[...]

Insert | Symbol. Select the section symbol and click the Shortcut Key...
button, then enter the desired keyboard shortcut and click Assign and Close.
You'll see the shortcut you selected on the Special Characters tab of Insert
| Symbol.

"Chad Harris" wrote in message
Suzzne--as always thanks very much and thanks for the link. I understand
what you mean about making a key (adding the ability) able to type that
symbol also. At least I think that's what you mean. How do I designate a
key to do that though?

Chad Harris
______________________

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/InsertSpecChars.htm for a number

of
different ways of inserting this and other special characters. Although
there is no built-in keyboard shortcut for this symbol, you can easily

add
one. Or you can just remember 00A7, Alt+X.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.