Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ryan Ryan is offline

Default Object as Excel worksheet and its sizing

Hello,

I am having a problem when pasting an Excel cell range as an linked worksheet:

1. Select and copy range in Excel.
2. In Word, Paste special Paste link Microsoft Office Excel Worksheet
Object

When the object is pasted, it is never the original size. The window from
Format Object Size always displays the Height at 96 % and the Width at 108
% (sometimes the Height is 97 %). This happens if even when I start with
fresh Word and Excel files.

To get the object to 100 % and 100 %, I uncheck "Lock aspect ratio" and
"Relative to original picture size" then choose "Reset". This is the only
combination I found that worked to (usually) keep in at 100/100. (Word does
not seem to honor the "Lock" and "Relative" options even if they are checked
because I can keep them checked, hit "Reset" and see the dimensions match the
original dimension, hit "OK", go back to the Size settings, and it is at 90 %
height and 100 % width or something else.)

I know that some of the other paste options correctly paste in at 100/100,
but I need the Excel worksheet format. This is because I use the specific
minus sign character (U+2212) for negative values. "Picture (Windows
Metafile)" replaces the minus sign with a question mark and "Bitmap" makes
the text all pixelated. "Picture (Enhanced Metafile)" comes in pretty close,
but it is not available as a link. I can't use the HTML for RTF formats
because the mess-up the custom number formats I've used in Excel to align the
numbers just right (so that xx.x, x.x, -xx.x, and -x.x all are
decimal-aligned first and then centered in the cell).

I have seen suggestions for these other paste methods, but no fix for the
Excel worksheet method. Do anyone know of a solution? (I am using the 2007
versions of both programs.)

Thank you,
Ryan