Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Murray Anderson Murray Anderson is offline

Default Copy Heading Style Data

I want to copy style data for built in headings, such that the Heading 5
takes on the attributes of Heading 4, Heading 4 becomes Heading 3, etc. until
I can define a new Heading 1. If I select a paragraph with style Heading 4,
then in the Styles and Formatting window select "Update to Match Selection"
for Heading 5, Heading 5 will take on the required attributes, but only
because it is redefined to be "Heading 4 + Level 5". If I now update Heading
4, Heading 5 will change accordingly, which is not what I want. How do I
break the link between the headings without printing out and re-entering all
the formatting?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

This could be a limitation of the Update to Match Selection feature.
It would probably help, though, if you explained exactly what you are
trying to do. Why do you need to "define a new Heading 1"?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Murray Anderson" wrote in message
I want to copy style data for built in headings, such that the

Heading 5
takes on the attributes of Heading 4, Heading 4 becomes Heading 3,

etc. until
I can define a new Heading 1. If I select a paragraph with style

Heading 4,
then in the Styles and Formatting window select "Update to Match

Selection"
for Heading 5, Heading 5 will take on the required attributes, but

only
because it is redefined to be "Heading 4 + Level 5". If I now

update Heading
4, Heading 5 will change accordingly, which is not what I want. How

do I
break the link between the headings without printing out and

re-entering all
the formatting?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Murray Anderson Murray Anderson is offline

I think I've found a solution to this (see below), but I'll clarify the
problem first.

This is slightly difficult to explain clearly, but I'll give it a go. I
need keep the styles associated with headings 1 to 4 but move them to heading
levels 2 to 5, then redefine heading 1 so that I have a new style at the
highest level. This is because I am working with an existing template, but I
need the Table of Contents to refer to two parts, each of which have headings
in the defined corporate style associated with the existing template.
Perhaps the following attempt at a diagram makes it clear:

Existing template:
Heading Style 1 (outline level 1)
Heading Style 2 (outline level 2)
Heading Style 3 (outline level 3)
etc.

New Document:
Part 1 (outline level 1)
Heading Style 1 (outline level 2)
Heading Style 2 (outline level 2)
Heading Style 3 (outline level 3)
etc.

Getting the right styles associated with the right levels is key to
generating the Table of Contents correctly (without getting into more complex
field codes).

My solution is as follows. I used "Update to Match Selection" to pick up
the Style information, but then used "Modify" for the updated style and
selected "Style based on: (no style)". Word then appears to drop the
dependence on the selected Style, but retain the appropriate formatting. I
hadn't spotted the "Style based on: (no style)" and had tried "Style based on
: Normal", which didn't work.

Hope this makes sense; any thoughts or more sensible solutions much
appreciated.
Thanks,
Murray

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I'm glad you got it sorted.

But it would seem easier to just modify the TOC field code with the \t
switch. See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/TOCSwitches.htm.

--

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Actually, that article doesn't deal with the \t switch, since it is most
easily used by "remapping" styles to levels in the TOC Options dialog. There
is more information about custom formatting of TOCs, however, in
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I noticed that you didn't *comment* on the \t switch in the article
that I linked to, but you did offer { TOC \t "Heading 2,1,Heading
3,2" } as an example (in the "A partial table of contents" section).
This *could* be helpful (I got the impression that the OP had some
experience with field codes).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Actually, that article doesn't deal with the \t switch, since it is

most
easily used by "remapping" styles to levels in the TOC Options

dialog. There
is more information about custom formatting of TOCs, however, in
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.