Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Krystin Krystin is offline

Default Text box "dissapears" and does not print

I'm working with a document with pictures.
Unfortunately I did not create the original document, so I don't know how
the text box was set up.
I know a text box exists in the document, but after resizing pictures and
moving them around the text box disappeared.
When I print the document the text box is not there (doesn't print).
The only way I've been able to see the text box after making the necessary
changes to the pictures is to go into the "Reading Layout."
I like to operate primarily in the "Print Layout," but when I am in this
layout I cannot see the text box at all.
I am using Word 03.
I've changed the layout of the pictures to "Behind Text" but I still cannot
view the text box.
Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Check tools options view 'drawings' - uncheck 'picture placeholders'
Check tools options print 'drawing objects' and 'background colors and
images'

Krystin wrote:
I'm working with a document with pictures.
Unfortunately I did not create the original document, so I don't know
how the text box was set up.
I know a text box exists in the document, but after resizing pictures
and moving them around the text box disappeared.
When I print the document the text box is not there (doesn't print).
The only way I've been able to see the text box after making the
necessary changes to the pictures is to go into the "Reading Layout."
I like to operate primarily in the "Print Layout," but when I am in
this layout I cannot see the text box at all.
I am using Word 03.
I've changed the layout of the pictures to "Behind Text" but I still
cannot view the text box.
Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] valeriehorowitz@gmail.com is offline

Krystin wrote:
I'm working with a document with pictures.
Unfortunately I did not create the original document, so I don't know
how the text box was set up.
I know a text box exists in the document, but after resizing pictures
and moving them around the text box disappeared.
When I print the document the text box is not there (doesn't print).
The only way I've been able to see the text box after making the
necessary changes to the pictures is to go into the "Reading Layout."
I like to operate primarily in the "Print Layout," but when I am in
this layout I cannot see the text box at all.
I am using Word 03.
I've changed the layout of the pictures to "Behind Text" but I still
cannot view the text box.
Help!

I had the same problem. Thanks, this fixed it!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] angiewalthall@gmail.com is offline

I'm having the same problem.
I have Word 2007.

I cannot find
Check tools options view 'drawings' - uncheck 'picture placeholders'
Check tools options print 'drawing objects' and 'background colors and
images'

There is no TOOLS option to choose, or DRAWINGS anywhere to be found.
Just
HOME INSERT PAGE LAYOUT REFERENCES MAILINGS REVIEW VIEW

Please help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] lbigbee@gmail.com is offline

On Friday, April 8, 2016 at 3:28:09 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I'm having the same problem.
I have Word 2007.

I cannot find
Check tools options view 'drawings' - uncheck 'picture placeholders'
Check tools options print 'drawing objects' and 'background colors and
images'

There is no TOOLS option to choose, or DRAWINGS anywhere to be found.
Just
HOME INSERT PAGE LAYOUT REFERENCES MAILINGS REVIEW VIEW

Please help.

I had a similar issue. If you change your view to "Web Layout" you should be able to see the unwanted or missing items that you can't see in "Print Layout". Don't worry that the page may appear incorrectly, just move the previously hidden graphics or text boxes where you will see them when you switch modes back to print view.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] ford.clinton@gmail.com is offline

For more recent versions of Word for Mac (e.g. I have Word 2011 for Mac) these settings can be found by doing the following:

Go to the toolbar at the very top of the screen:

Choose "Word" (between the Apple icon and "File") Preferences Print (under "Output and Sharing) place a check next to Drawing objects (under "Include with document") and a check next to "Print background colors and images" and then hit OK.

This did not completely solve the problem for me. BUT I did a Save As... and saved the document as a PDF. The text boxes then appeared in the PDF document. I can now print the PDF document with the text boxes (the docx version still does not want to print the text boxes though).

On Friday, April 8, 2016 at 2:28:09 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I'm having the same problem.
I have Word 2007.

I cannot find
Check tools options view 'drawings' - uncheck 'picture placeholders'
Check tools options print 'drawing objects' and 'background colors and
images'

There is no TOOLS option to choose, or DRAWINGS anywhere to be found.
Just
HOME INSERT PAGE LAYOUT REFERENCES MAILINGS REVIEW VIEW

Please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] norm.farnum@gmail.com is offline

This worked perfectly for me! I had forgotten where I had unchecked those parameters. Thanks very much.

Choose "Word" (between the Apple icon and "File") Preferences Print (under "Output and Sharing) place a check next to Drawing objects (under "Include with document") and a check next to "Print background colors and images" and then hit OK.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] deidre4allstate@gmail.com is offline

Krystin wrote:
I'm working with a document with pictures.
Unfortunately I did not create the original document, so I don't know
how the text box was set up.
I know a text box exists in the document, but after resizing pictures
and moving them around the text box disappeared.
When I print the document the text box is not there (doesn't print).
The only way I've been able to see the text box after making the
necessary changes to the pictures is to go into the "Reading Layout."
I like to operate primarily in the "Print Layout," but when I am in
this layout I cannot see the text box at all.
I am using Word 03.
I've changed the layout of the pictures to "Behind Text" but I still
cannot view the text box.
Help!

For new versions of Word or .docx files go to File Options Display Check the box almost at the bottom that says 'Print Drawings created in Word.'

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] mizz.crow@gmail.com is offline

Krystin wrote:
[...]

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS~~~ My computer must have unchecked all that stuff during an update, even docs I had from last year weren't printing properly. Bless this board for the answer.