Barbara

Default Merge several lines into a single paragraph.

I have several incongrous lines with returns at the end of each that I would
like to merge into a single paragraph. Is this possible?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Merge several lines into a single paragraph.

Yes, it is possible to merge several lines into a single paragraph in Microsoft Word. Here's how you can do it:
  1. Select the lines that you want to merge into a single paragraph.
  2. Press the "Delete" key on your keyboard to remove the line breaks between the selected lines.
  3. Alternatively, you can press "Ctrl + H" to open the "Find and Replace" dialog box, then enter "^p" (without the quotes) in the "Find what" field and leave the "Replace with" field blank. Click "Replace All" to remove all line breaks in the selected text.
  4. Once you have removed the line breaks, you should have a single paragraph with all the text merged together.

That's it! You have successfully merged several lines into a single paragraph in Microsoft Word.
__________________
Herb Tyson [MVP]

Incongruous in what sense? To Word, each "line" that is terminated with a
paragraph mark is a paragraph. You can always merge adjacent paragraphs by
replacing the paragraph marks with spaces.

Which paragarph's formatting takes precedence depends on which version of
Word you're using, as well as your Compatibility settings.

Using the default settings in Word 2003, if I start with 3 lines
(paragraphs, actually) and delete the paragraph marks, all three end up with
the paragraph formatting of the first line/paragraph. (This happens
regardless of whether I delete from top to bottom or bottom to top.)

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Barbara" wrote in message
I have several incongrous lines with returns at the end of each that I
would
like to merge into a single paragraph. Is this possible?

RA RHU

Barbara,

If you have a lot of these individual lines (e.g. copying an email and
pasting it into a word document) that you want to take care of at the same
time, you can "select" all of the text you want to remove the paragraph marks
from, then use "replace" from the edit menu. In Word 2003, you select the
"more" option from the replace tab and then use the "paragraph mark" from the
"special" drop down box in the "replace what" and enter just a space (with
the space bar, don't just leave it blank or the words will all run together
where the paragraph mark was) in the "replace with" field. That will do
multiple instances at the same time.

Also, if you click the "Show/Hide" toolbar btton (looks like a backwards P)
you will see all of the paragraph marks and can delete the one(s) you want.

Have fun.