billxian

Default How do I print landscape from outline mode in MS Word

I want to use the outline mode to collapse and outline and then print certain
sections of the collapsed out line. I can collapse. I can set the setup to
landscape.
However the lettering behaves if its an 8.5 x 11 so when I print it I
receive wrapped text. I cannot collapse the outline in print layout mode. Is
there anyway I can get a printout of a partialy collapsed outline that
expands across the width of the page inlandscape mode?
--
Good Luck and God be with you
Keep typing and trucking
Stefan Blom

Did you make sure *not* to Print Preview the document? Previewing makes
Word print the document the way it looks in Print Layout view.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"billxian" wrote in message
I want to use the outline mode to collapse and outline and then print

certain
sections of the collapsed out line. I can collapse. I can set the

setup to
landscape.
However the lettering behaves if its an 8.5 x 11 so when I print it I
receive wrapped text. I cannot collapse the outline in print layout

mode. Is
there anyway I can get a printout of a partialy collapsed outline that
expands across the width of the page inlandscape mode?
--
Good Luck and God be with you
Keep typing and trucking

billxian

Okay

Let me expalin again:

Ouline mode does not give me a landscape paper view. It gives a portrait view.
When I print from outline even if the page setup is set for landscape. I get
a landscape printout and wordwrap as if it was portrait. I am doing an outline
I want to use a landscape printout becasue the outline extends to the right.
I want a lanscape printout of an outline without wordwrap.

How do I do that?
--
Good Luck and God be with you
Keep typing and trucking

"billxian" wrote in message
I want to use the outline mode to collapse and outline and then print

certain
sections of the collapsed out line. I can collapse. I can set the

setup to
landscape.
However the lettering behaves if its an 8.5 x 11 so when I print it I
receive wrapped text. I cannot collapse the outline in print layout

mode. Is
there anyway I can get a printout of a partialy collapsed outline that
expands across the width of the page inlandscape mode?
--
Good Luck and God be with you
Keep typing and trucking

Stefan Blom

Well, I just tested to change orientation to landscape, switch to
outline view and then print. It seems to work OK for me: the printout is
in landscape, text is indented from the left to indicate document
hierarchy, but text lines end further to the right (as expected). Have
you considered upgrading the printer driver?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"billxian" wrote in message
I want to use the outline mode to collapse and outline and then

print
certain
sections of the collapsed out line. I can collapse. I can set the

setup to
landscape.
However the lettering behaves if its an 8.5 x 11 so when I print

it I
receive wrapped text. I cannot collapse the outline in print

layout
mode. Is
there anyway I can get a printout of a partialy collapsed outline

that
expands across the width of the page inlandscape mode?
--
Good Luck and God be with you
Keep typing and trucking

billxian

Thank you for the help. I believe you don't understand what I am trying to do.

Did your image from the outlook mode look like it was in the portrait mode
or the landscape mode? I want it to look like a landscape so that the text
will extend to the right without wrapping as it does in the portrait.

My longer lines wrap too soon in the outline mode.

Were you able to collapse a section and then print it so that the section
remained collapsed as a landscape so that the wordwrap does not occur?

Are you certain that you were printing from outline mode and not the print
layout mode?

I can print the outline with no collapsed sections as print layout and it
prints correctly with no collapsed sections. The problem occurs when you
collapse a section. I need to collapse sections of the outline and print it
landscape with the sections collapsed. I get the wordwrap from right adjusted
extended sections as if they were printing on a portrait even though the
output is landscape. Of couse the problem gets worse depending on what level
you are on.

Let me try to it explain this way:

These are the conditions

1. Outlook View (Preferably a landscape view versus a portrait view. I don't
see how you set the landsacpe view for an outline)
2. Line of text that wraps in portrait but not in landscape mode if printed
3. A collapsed section not containing the long line

Result

A printout that

1. Shows the section collapsed
2. The line extending without wordwrap

I hope this clarifies the situation

Again, thanks for the help but I still have the problem.

--
Good Luck and God be with you
Keep typing and trucking

"billxian" wrote in message
I want to use the outline mode to collapse and outline and then

print
certain
sections of the collapsed out line. I can collapse. I can set the
setup to
landscape.
However the lettering behaves if its an 8.5 x 11 so when I print

it I
receive wrapped text. I cannot collapse the outline in print

layout
mode. Is
there anyway I can get a printout of a partialy collapsed outline

that
expands across the width of the page inlandscape mode?
--
Good Luck and God be with you
Keep typing and trucking

Daiya Mitchell

Some notes.

What in the world do you mean by Outlook View? Life is much easier if you
use Word's vocabulary...

You can't change a view from Landscape to Portrait. You change the *paper*
from landscape to portrait (using File | Page Setup). If you change the
paper in a document, it is changed for everything--print layout and outline
view, and for printing.

Unless I have also misunderstood, you are asking for something that you
can't have--a document in portrait that will use landscape only when you are
printing from outline view. You can manually make this happen--when you go
into Outline View to print, change the paper; then change it back when you
return to print layout view--but Word won't automatically do it for you.

These are the conditions

1. Outlook View (Preferably a landscape view versus a portrait view. I don't
see how you set the landsacpe view for an outline)
2. Line of text that wraps in portrait but not in landscape mode if printed
3. A collapsed section not containing the long line

Result

A printout that

1. Shows the section collapsed
2. The line extending without wordwrap

I hope this clarifies the situation

Again, thanks for the help but I still have the problem.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

billxian

Thats my point by the way

If I want to go to the tool how to get there I use the mouse and click view
then click outline. Therefo outline view. Sorry,I am not part of microsoft
village. I don't speak the Microsoft language. (Life is much easier if you
use Word's vocabulary...)

When I get to the outline view I expect it would give me a landscape
representation if I set the paper to landscape. I don't know how to make this
happen. I only get a portrait representation with a lot of unnecessary word
wrap. The reason I want to use landscape is not to have wordwrap. For some
reason when I am using the outline tool I get a portrait representation. I
don't want a portrait representation. I want a landscape representation.

Also when I print I expect a landscape representation without all unecessary
word wrap if I set the paper to landscape from the outline tool. On the print
out I get the paper orientation as landscape with wordwrap based on portrait.
I do not want this.
I want to print from the outline tool with with a collapsed paragraph,
landscape orientation with landscape line length, no unecessary word wrap
when I set the paperto landscape orientation. How do I get what I want?

DM,You tell me: "If you change the
paper in a document, it is changed for everything--print layout and outline
view, and for printing."

This is not happening.

print layout (Yes),

Printing (to a point I get landscape orientation with portrait based
wordwrap. I don't want this. I want landscape orientation and landscape based
word wrap)

Outline view (No-The display acts as if it is still portrait 8.5"" (I don't
want this. I want landscape (11" wide)),

I can't collapse a section in print layout. This is okay I am not printing
from print layout. I am printing from the outline tool.

I want to print from the outline tool a collapsed section and get word wrap
based on a longer line length when I set the paper to landscape orientation.

Please I help. I am trying get you to understand me.

As you can guess, I am getting frustrated, sorry.

--
Good Luck and God be with you
Keep typing and trucking

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

[...]

Daiya Mitchell

Okay, it mostly makes sense now.

I am seeing the same problem as you are in MacWord 2004--printing from
Outline View doesn't extend the lines all the way to the right. What
version of Word are you using?

However, it worked fine for Stefan, so either the bug has been fixed in his
version, or as he suggested, you should see if there is a more recent
printer driver for your printer available. Word communicates with the
printer driver to produce the printed product. Check the website for the
manufacturer of the printer--drivers are usually under Downloads or Support
or something.

Also, one more question--you wrote:

Printing (to a point I get landscape orientation with portrait based
wordwrap. I don't want this. I want landscape orientation and landscape based
word wrap)

Were you referring to printing from Outline View or from Print Layout view?
(it's not clear what this referred to, as you had separate paragraphs for
Print Layout and Outline View, with this one in the middle) If you meant
from Outline View, yes, that's the same bug I'm seeing. If you are also
having problems getting the lines to go all the way to the right when you
print in Print Layout view, then check your margins and definitely check
your printer driver.

PS. You were saying Outlook view, not Outline view. Since Outlook is a
different product that can interact with Word at times, it suggested you
might be talking about something entirely different.

DM

On 9/8/05 3:46 PM, "billxian" wrote:

[...]

billxian

a "What version of Word are you using?"
Word 2003 SP1

"However, it worked fine for Stefan, so either the bug has been fixed in his
version, or as he suggested, you should see if there is a more recent
printer driver for your printer available"

1. I am not ceratin that Stefan was doing what I was doing.
2.If I couldn't print at all then I would beleive print driver. The fact
that it prints in
print layout and the hardcopy turns out to be correct except that I cannot
collapse a section tend to lead away from the print driver. Also I am on a
network printer at work do updating a print driver is not really an option
for me. Plus the fact I have the same bug on home computer also leads me away
from the print driver.
--
Could it be that Microsoft has a bug in Word that they refuse to fix? (Nah
It would never happen )

If so how do we get this fixed? Or do I try to find another tool that merges
with Offce? Any suggestions?

--
Good Luck and God be with you
Keep typing and trucking

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

[...]

Stefan Blom

I'm currently using an older version (Word 2000), so I guess it could be
a recent bug.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/