Posted to microsoft.public.word.conversions,microsoft.public.word.customization.menustoolbars,microsoft.public.word.tables
DarrylR DarrylR is offline

Default Help! Can I eliminate scaling when I paste Excel tables and charts into Word?

I'm trying to determine what causes Word to resize Excel tables and charts
that are pasted into a document using Edit - Paste Special.

I am pasting charts using the following process:
1. Select a chart object in Excel (one that's embedded on a worksheet, not
on a separate chart sheet) by clicking the chart area.
2. Select Edit - Copy.
3. Create a blank Word document, and paste the chart into it using
Edit -Paste Special -As Microsoft Excel Chart Object.

And I am pasting tables using the following process:
1. Highlight a range of cells in Excel (using Edit - Goto - named
range).
2. Select Edit - Copy.
3. Create a blank Word document, and paste the range into it using
Edit -Paste Special -As Microsoft Excel Worksheet Object.

When I perform the steps above on my machine, charts are not scaled at all
(which is what I would expect/hope). Tables are scaled, however, such that
their height is 97% of the original height, and their width is 105% of the
original width. On another colleague's machine, charts and tables are both
scaled to 85% of their original size. And on yet another colleague's
machine, neither charts nor tables are scaled. All of our machines are
running Word 2003 SP2 (build 11.6568.6568) under Windows 2000 Professional
SP4.

I tried turning off "Adjust formatting when pasting from Microsoft Excel"
(Tools - Options - Edit - Settings...), which had no effect. I also tried
turning off "Smart cut and paste" entirely. Nothing seems to affect the
behavior. Is there some setting that I'm missing? Is there a default paste
size/scale stored somewhere?

Regards,
Darryl R.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.conversions,microsoft.public.word.customization.menustoolbars,microsoft.public.word.tables
DarrylR DarrylR is offline

Believe it or not, Copy/Paste behavior is affected by the default printer
selected on the machine. I discovered that the most significant size
reduction occurs when "Acrobat PDFWriter" is selected as the default
printer. The scaling percentage varies depending upon the default printer
selected. The only printer driver that I've found that doesn't result in
scaling is an old HP 5P/MP.

Regards,
Darryl R.