TOC

Default how do i delete page numbers on a table of contents?

I am working on a table of contents for a legal brief and on the TOC its self
i want only certain lines to have the actual page number i.e. heading has
page number and sub heading does not. i know before i was able to do it by
going to the end of a the line and delete three times and the .......3 will
delete but now it is highlighting everything in that is connected to that
page number (.......3).

please help! i appreciate any help that you can give
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: how do i delete page numbers on a table of contents?

Here's how to delete page numbers on a table of contents in Microsoft Word:
  1. Click anywhere on the table of contents to select it.
  2. Click on the "References" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. In the "Table of Contents" section, click on "Custom Table of Contents".
  4. In the "Table of Contents" dialog box that appears, click on the "Options" button.
  5. In the "Table of Contents Options" dialog box, you will see a list of different styles that are used in your table of contents. To remove page numbers from a particular style, simply click on it to select it, and then uncheck the "Page numbers" box.
  6. Once you have unchecked the "Page numbers" box for all the styles you want to remove page numbers from, click "OK" to close the "Table of Contents Options" dialog box.
  7. Finally, click "OK" again to close the "Table of Contents" dialog box and update your table of contents.

That should do it! Your table of contents should now only show page numbers for the styles that you left checked in the "Table of Contents Options" dialog box. Let me know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else I can help you with.
__________________
Gilley

What you are probably experiencing is the dreaded 'hyperlinking' of the TOC
entries.

This also drives me crazy. To be able to just select the pages number ...

Turn on View Field Codes (Tools | Options | View Tab | Field Codes).
You should see something that resembles the following:
{ TOC \o "1-3" \h \z}

It is the "\h" that is causing your the trouble. Remove the \h from the
field code. This is the trigger for the hyperlinking.

Turn off View Field Codes.

Now you can remove the page numbers on the TOC entries you need to.

Regards,

Gilley

"TOC" wrote:

I am working on a table of contents for a legal brief and on the TOC its self
i want only certain lines to have the actual page number i.e. heading has
page number and sub heading does not. i know before i was able to do it by
going to the end of a the line and delete three times and the .......3 will
delete but now it is highlighting everything in that is connected to that
page number (.......3).

please help! i appreciate any help that you can give

TOC

Thank you so much Gilley. that is exactly what i was looking for. but what
if you wanted the TOC to be a hyperlink but want to format it the way i just
decribed (ie delete page num etcs)

or you cant have your cake and eat it too.

"TOC" wrote:

I am working on a table of contents for a legal brief and on the TOC its self
i want only certain lines to have the actual page number i.e. heading has
page number and sub heading does not. i know before i was able to do it by
going to the end of a the line and delete three times and the .......3 will
delete but now it is highlighting everything in that is connected to that
page number (.......3).

please help! i appreciate any help that you can give

Even when you remove the \h switch, the page numbers are still hyperlinked.
Moreover, removing the page numbers manually will have no effect since they
will be added back the next time you update the TOC. You *must* use the \n
switch to remove page numbers.