Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Mike Burke Mike Burke is offline

Default Elapsed time format in Word table?

One of my vendors wants me to use a Word document to submit my time. (I would
typically submeit an Excel Invoice, but that's not what he wants.)

In Excel I can format a cell as a time (using the extended time format),
enter a time in hh:mm (PM of AM). by having two such cells, I can calculate
the elapsed time by subtracting the first from the second.

I could probably do the same thing by writing a macro in VBA (time
consuming), but I'd prefer it if the cells could be formatted by clicking on
something, and the formula could be entered directly to the cell.

Has anyone done this?

Thanks,

Mike Burke
--
"The mind is quicker than you think!"
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Mike,

To see how to do this and just about everything else you might want to do with dates and times in Word, check out my Date Calc
'tutorial', at:
http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/show...?Number=249902
or
http://www.gmayor.com/downloads.htm#Third_party
In particular, look at the items titled 'Add Or Subtract Two Time Periods' and 'Date and Time Calculations in a Table'.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Mike Burke" wrote in message ...
One of my vendors wants me to use a Word document to submit my time. (I would
typically submeit an Excel Invoice, but that's not what he wants.)

In Excel I can format a cell as a time (using the extended time format),
enter a time in hh:mm (PM of AM). by having two such cells, I can calculate
the elapsed time by subtracting the first from the second.

I could probably do the same thing by writing a macro in VBA (time
consuming), but I'd prefer it if the cells could be formatted by clicking on
something, and the formula could be entered directly to the cell.

Has anyone done this?

Thanks,

Mike Burke
--
"The mind is quicker than you think!"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Mike,

While you can do this in Word - as my 'tutorial' shows - or use a macro, I'd much rather do it in Excel - you can always embed an
Excel worksheet in your Word document.

Cheers
--
macropod