Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Camstar Camstar is offline

Default How do I type in English and have it translated to Japanese?

Is there a way in Office 2007 to open a Word document and type a message in
English with a normal qwerty keyboard layout and have Word translate the
message into Japanese? I do not know Japanese so I can't type in Japanese.
I was told that the Japanese IME did this in 2003 but in 2007 there does not
seem to be an IME available for download so I assume it's buit-in but I still
don't know how to make it work. The OS is Windows XP SP2. I have added
Japanese in the Language tab Details in the Regional and Language settings in
Control Panel. I have also enabled it in the Office 2007 ToolLanguage
settingsEditing Languages but still no go.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Do you mean you want to write a message in English, and have the
computer translate it into Japanese?

It can't do that.

Do you want to type a Japanese-language message in English letters
("romaji") and replace the letters with kana and kanji?

It can do that, but you have to know at least something about how
Japanese writing works, so that you can choose the right items when it
gives you choices.

On Jan 8, 3:23*pm, Camstar wrote:
Is there a way in Office 2007 to open a Word document and type a message in
English with a normal qwerty keyboard layout and have Word translate the
message into Japanese? *I do not know Japanese so I can't type in Japanese. *
I was told that the Japanese IME did this in 2003 but in 2007 there does not
seem to be an IME available for download so I assume it's buit-in but I still
don't know how to make it work. *The OS is Windows XP SP2. *I have added
Japanese in the Language tab Details in the Regional and Language settings in
Control Panel. *I have also enabled it in the Office 2007 ToolLanguage
settingsEditing Languages but still no go.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Camstar Camstar is offline

Thanks for responding. I apologize for the confusion but yes you are correct
with your second assumption. We wish to type Japanese in English letters and
have it translate into the kanji. We can't seem to get that functionality to
work. Can you point me to any instructions on how set this up in Office
2007? Are there step by step instructions somewhere on a site that I have
overlooked?

Thanks

On Jan 8, 3:23 pm, Camstar wrote:
Is there a way in Office 2007 to open a Word document and type a message in
English with a normal qwerty keyboard layout and have Word translate the
message into Japanese? I do not know Japanese so I can't type in Japanese.
I was told that the Japanese IME did this in 2003 but in 2007 there does not
seem to be an IME available for download so I assume it's buit-in but I still
don't know how to make it work. The OS is Windows XP SP2. I have added
Japanese in the Language tab Details in the Regional and Language settings in
Control Panel. I have also enabled it in the Office 2007 ToolLanguage
settingsEditing Languages but still no go.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Sorry, I can't help with 2007! MS does have a lengthy document on
Japanese input but I don't know that it covers 2007 -- especially if
2007 differs from 2003 in this.

On Jan 8, 3:23 pm, Camstar wrote:
Is there a way in Office 2007 to open a Word document and type a message in
English with a normal qwerty keyboard layout and have Word translate the
message into Japanese? *I do not know Japanese so I can't type in Japanese. *
I was told that the Japanese IME did this in 2003 but in 2007 there does not
seem to be an IME available for download so I assume it's buit-in but I still
don't know how to make it work. *The OS is Windows XP SP2. *I have added
Japanese in the Language tab Details in the Regional and Language settings in
Control Panel. *I have also enabled it in the Office 2007 ToolLanguage
settingsEditing Languages but still no go.

Thanks- Hide quoted text -