Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tom G. Tom G. is offline

Default Save As acts differently depending on whether you use cut and paste or not

I have noticed with Word 2003, that Save As works differently if you
have used cut and paste as compared to when you haven't.

To see what I am talking about, do the following:

1). Create a new document, type hello test, and save as Test1.doc.
2). Now cut and paste some thing in the document.
3). Save As Test2.doc.
4). Click on File - Close.

After step 1 and before step 3, I see ~Test1.doc. After step 3, I see
both ~Test1.doc and ~Test2.doc. After step 3, I see ~Test1.doc.

If you repeat the steps above but leave out step 2, you will see
~Test1.doc before save as Test2.doc. As soon as you save as
Test2.doc, the ~Test1.doc goes away and you only have ~Test2.doc.
Once you close Test2.doc, you no longer have any ~ files.

Why the difference? Why is cutting and pasting making Word hold onto
the first file?

This is causing problems in a program of mine that automates word.

Thanks,

Tom Grant