Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JC JC is offline

Default Password Protection

Is it possible to protect single Word docs with a password? If yes, how do I
do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Word 2007: Click Office button | Save As. In the Save As dialog box, click
Tools, and then click General Options. Specify a "Password to open." Click
OK. You will be prompted to repeat the password. After you've done that,
click OK.

Word 2003: Click Tools | Options, Security tab. In the "Password to open"
box, type a password, and then click OK. In the "Reenter password to open"
box, type the password again, and then click OK.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"JC" wrote in message
Is it possible to protect single Word docs with a password? If yes, how do
I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

I find it interesting that the usual response to this question for Word 2003
is to go to Tools Options and the usual response for Word 2007 is to do it
from the Save Dialog. Both versions offer both routes so why the differing
advice? My guess is that people can not find the option in Word 2007, which,
again, I find interesting.

In 2007, Office Button Prepare Encrypt Document. You can add this
directly to the QAT or (with some detective work) you can add the "General
Options" dialog to the QAT to get there by a different route. For this and
more you probably didn't want to know, see
http://www.wordarticles.com/Shorts/S...Encryption.htm

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

"JC" wrote in message
Is it possible to protect single Word docs with a password? If yes, how
do I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Office Button | Prepare | Encrypt Document doesn't offer the other options
offered under General Options (such as "password to modify").

http://word.mvps.org

"JC" wrote in message
Is it possible to protect single Word docs with a password? If yes, how
do I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

True - I hadn't really registered that difference as I never do that even
though it has stared me in the face many times - for that you will need to
put the dialog on the qat.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

"JC" wrote in message
Is it possible to protect single Word docs with a password? If yes, how
do I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, I never use any kind of protection. What I was really looking for (and
your article did bring this up) was the choice of protection level that was
available in Word 2003. The "dialog" that Office Button | Prepare | Encrypt
Document brings up doesn't really give you very many choices!

"JC" wrote in message
Is it possible to protect single Word docs with a password? If yes,
how do I do this?

Password Protection M.S. Microsoft Word Help 1 May 25th 07 03:29 PM
protection password the law Microsoft Word Help 2 February 14th 07 04:40 PM
Password Protection akkrug New Users 0 November 2nd 05 12:37 PM
password protection. I have several documents that are password michael Microsoft Word Help 1 October 19th 05 11:17 PM
Password Protection tony Microsoft Word Help 1 March 18th 05 07:32 PM