Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
caliburn caliburn is offline

Default Restricting forms

I am setting up an application form, with one area inviting the person to
describe themselves. However I want to restrict how much they can write about
themselves (i.e. 500 words). On the application form I have given approx
half a page to this. The details will be entered into a table in a text form
field. While I know I can dictate the number of characters that can be used,
in testing I have found this can overrun, and subsequently expand the table.
I have also set the table to sit at a specified length but any extra words
simply disappear off the end of the table.

Is there a way to set the document so that when the user reaches the end of
the cell, they are unable to write anymore?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?Y2FsaWJ1cm4=?=,

I am setting up an application form, with one area inviting the person to
describe themselves. However I want to restrict how much they can write about
themselves (i.e. 500 words). On the application form I have given approx
half a page to this. The details will be entered into a table in a text form
field. While I know I can dictate the number of characters that can be used,
in testing I have found this can overrun, and subsequently expand the table.
I have also set the table to sit at a specified length but any extra words
simply disappear off the end of the table.

Is there a way to set the document so that when the user reaches the end of
the cell, they are unable to write anymore?

No. Best you could do would be a macro that fires when the user exits, that
maybe shows a message and deletes extraneous text.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)