Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Elbert

Default Page numbering and un-numbering

Hi,

In my document I want a cover page and a title page without a page numbers,
followed by a TOC with Roman numeral page numbers, followed by the main text
with Arabic numeral page numbers. I figure I need 3 sections.

I insert two section breaks. Since Im in section 3 at the moment, I view
headers and footers, insert a page number, select start at, and enter the
number 1. Section 3 looks good, but I notice that sections 1 and 2 now have
page numbers, which I didnt tell Word to put there, but theyre there anyhow.

I go to section 2 and format the page number, selecting Roman numeral style
and start at page 1. Section 2 looks good, section 3 is still OK.

I go to section 1 and, since this is to include the cover page and title
page, I delete the page number. Section 1 now has no page numbers, but
neither do sections 2 and 3. If I put the page number back in section 1, they
reappear in sections 2 and 3.

Ive read http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm but
the instructions there seem to work only if I have just one page at the
beginning that I want to be un-numbered, not two or more (it makes use of
different first page.)

Ive got to be missing something obvious here, and Id appreciate having it
pointed out to me.

Elbert