Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
removing all headers and footers[_2_] removing all headers and footers[_2_] is offline

Default @ sign in some files

In some of my older Word files that I bring into Word 2003, I get odd symbols
for certain punctuation symbols, like the @ symbol where there should be ".
Any idea how to fix all these at once? Is this a font problem? thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

It suggests that they are in the wrong language. The @ and " are switched
between English (US) and English (UK) (as are a few other symbols).

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

t.com wrote in message
In some of my older Word files that I bring into Word 2003, I get odd
symbols
for certain punctuation symbols, like the @ symbol where there should be
".
Any idea how to fix all these at once? Is this a font problem? thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

"removing all headers and footers" wrote:
In some of my older Word files that I bring into Word 2003, I get odd
symbols
for certain punctuation symbols, like the @ symbol where there
should be
".
Any idea how to fix all these at once? Is this a font problem? thanks.

WordPerfect used to use a special font, "WP TypographicSymbols" (file name
WPHV04N_.TTF), for typographic quote marks and several other punctuation
characters.
If it's not installed, Word uses some other font and you see these wrong
symbols.

Google should find you the Corel website from which you can download it...
or you can find it on Edward Mendelson's site, who has put a lot of work
into collecting info on how to best move docs from WP to Word:
http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/wptoword.html

It it may be cleaner in the long run to get rid of that font and use "real"
quotes. Edward's site should help with that, too.

Regards,
Klaus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Thatgirl Thatgirl is offline

If the problems are consistantly the same thing, (such as @ is ALWAYS put
instead of ") I'd go to find by pressing the dot below the scroll bar. Then
you can click find and replace and use that tool to replace all the @s with
"s, and so on

"removing all headers and footers" wrote:

In some of my older Word files that I bring into Word 2003, I get odd symbols
for certain punctuation symbols, like the @ symbol where there should be ".
Any idea how to fix all these at once? Is this a font problem? thanks.

Is there a sign for plus or minus? Plus or Minus Sign Microsoft Word Help 1 June 9th 08 11:18 PM
how do you sign up?? keey New Users 3 January 15th 08 01:26 PM
Paragraph sign kriton New Users 14 July 4th 05 10:22 AM
pilcrow sign Pepe Microsoft Word Help 1 May 17th 05 09:25 PM
How do I do a tick sign? emmab76 Microsoft Word Help 2 January 13th 05 03:12 PM