Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dunkie Dunkie is offline

Default Problems with generating an index

When I regenerate an existing index, words and phrases are sporadically
bolded and the Index 1 level style is changed to italics. I can go into the
style and take off the italics and save the style, but when I generate the
index again, the italics are back on the Index 1 style. There is no bolding
in the XE entries, there is no italics in the XE entries--these are added
randomly (in the case of bold) and added to the specific Index 1 style. Any
solutions or ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?RHVua2ll?=,

When I regenerate an existing index, words and phrases are sporadically
bolded and the Index 1 level style is changed to italics. I can go into the
style and take off the italics and save the style, but when I generate the
index again, the italics are back on the Index 1 style. There is no bolding
in the XE entries, there is no italics in the XE entries--these are added
randomly (in the case of bold) and added to the specific Index 1 style. Any
solutions or ideas?

Have you checked the style definition to make sure it's not "updating
automatically" or updating from another file (a template)? And have you checked
that the document is not set to update styles automatically? (If you don't know
where to find that, which version of Word are you using?)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dunkie Dunkie is offline

I had already checked both of the items you suggested before I sent the first
message. Any other suggestions? It seems to me that it's a "bug" maybe?
I've had several people try it on the same document, different
computers--they get the same thing.

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?RHVua2ll?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Dunkie,

I had already checked both of the items you suggested before I sent the first
message. Any other suggestions? It seems to me that it's a "bug" maybe?
I've had several people try it on the same document, different
computers--they get the same thing.

Well, I don't know about "bug", but it could be that this particular document
(or its template) has been damaged internally.

A common way to test something like this quickly is to copy/Paste everything
except the last paragraph mark to a new document and see if the behavior
persists, although I don't know if that would "cure" a problem in the styles
management of the internal document structures. It might work better to save to
another file format (such as "web page"), close, re-open and test.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Problem generating a TOC - Help!? SoWrite Microsoft Word Help 3 October 18th 08 03:11 AM
Word 2003 & 2007 generating wrong index when using doc variables Emiliano llano Microsoft Word Help 1 March 13th 07 06:06 PM
index problems Randy Tables 0 June 2nd 06 02:31 AM
generating Reports using VB.net z Mailmerge 2 May 3rd 06 11:32 AM
Index problems: It doesn't mark all occurences. m.mete Microsoft Word Help 1 March 21st 06 02:47 PM