Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John John is offline

Default Word 2007 AutoText and Styles?

In Word 2000 I could create a style, name it and then select that style in my
document, type the text I wanted related to that style, highlight that text,
Click on Insert, Autotext, Autotext then apply a name to that entry.

Once all this was completed, on my toolbar under the "all entries" button I
could choose that style name and then have those named autotext items
availabe under that particular style to be inserted into my document.

I had this style associated with a template I use all the time to share such
things with co-workers.

We now have Word 2007 and I can't figure out how to add those listed text
items saved as Autotext to a style. My created styles made the jump from
2000 to 2007, but the autotext entries did not.

How do I associate the two in 2007 so that the autotext entries list under a
named style?
--
John R.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi John,

There has been a paradigm shift in Word 2007 and you can no longer
classify/group AutoText entries according to a style name. Instead, Word 2007
now has "Building Blocks", which you can categorize and group much more flexibly
and transparently. Look in the Ribbon's Insert tab, Quick parts dropdown for the
"Building Blocks Organizer".

Unfortunately, I don't know of any way you can present a "filtered" list to your
users in as simple a manner as you did in previous versions of Word. You'd need
some kind of macro to manage tracking when the user has applied a style, and
populating a list accordingly.

Simplest might be to create a set of building blocks that contain Content
Controls of type "Building block". Each of these would be pre-linked to a set of
Building Blocks corresponding to a certain style. The user would insert the
content control for the style being used, then select an entry from the content
control's list. Not as elegant, but should be possible without using a macro.

In Word 2000 I could create a style, name it and then select that style in my
document, type the text I wanted related to that style, highlight that text,
Click on Insert, Autotext, Autotext then apply a name to that entry.

Once all this was completed, on my toolbar under the "all entries" button I
could choose that style name and then have those named autotext items
availabe under that particular style to be inserted into my document.

I had this style associated with a template I use all the time to share such
things with co-workers.

We now have Word 2007 and I can't figure out how to add those listed text
items saved as Autotext to a style. My created styles made the jump from
2000 to 2007, but the autotext entries did not.

How do I associate the two in 2007 so that the autotext entries list under a
named style?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Alternatively, Greg Maxey has explained a method for creating custom
Building Block galleries that are similar to AutoText lists by style; see
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Buiild_Emp...BB_Gallery.htm. For a primer
on AT vs. BB, see
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Word2007_B...&_AutoText.htm

http://word.mvps.org