Tosca

Default Recovery of a document

Hi everyone

I have been working on a document and my PC crashed. I hadn't saved it nor
had I set any AutoRecovery interval. Is it likely that there are any
remnants of the document, or indeed the whole document, that I could recover
from my hard drive? I realise that this may not be recoverable within Word
but just wonder if there may be any DOS "tricks" or third party software to
allow recovery. I was fortunate in not having typed much of the document
and I think I should be able to do the work again, but it would be good if I
could recover it from my hard drive.

Thanks for your time.

Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)

Tosca

I doubt it very much.. when creating a document, the very first thing that
you should do is give it a name and save it.. then set the autosave.. it
doesn't hurt to manually save every now and again either..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Tosca" wrote in message
Hi everyone

I have been working on a document and my PC crashed. I hadn't saved it
nor had I set any AutoRecovery interval. Is it likely that there are any
remnants of the document, or indeed the whole document, that I could
recover from my hard drive? I realise that this may not be recoverable
within Word but just wonder if there may be any DOS "tricks" or third
party software to allow recovery. I was fortunate in not having typed
much of the document and I think I should be able to do the work again,
but it would be good if I could recover it from my hard drive.

Thanks for your time.

Tosca

Thank you Mike. Fortunately, the crash occurred very early in the creation
of the document and I've learned the lesson now! My question was triggered
by the belief that all sorts of things are saved by MS without the knowledge
of the user but maybe that's not true after all.