Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ian

Default Alignment problems when Printing Labels

I am attempting to print my Xmas address list onto Avery L7163 labels. I am
using Word in Office 2003 and XP as my operating system.

I have used Tools€¦ Letters...Envelopes and Labels€¦ etc to get a blank
template, typed in my addresses within the borders and printed, onto Avery
branded labels, only to find that the bottom 4 rows of addresses do not print
inside the label boundaries, but overspill onto the adjacent labels. I then
have to go into those addresses, move them down the page, print on ordinary
paper, check the alignment with the labels by hand and finally print onto
labels. But surely the whole idea is that I do not have to juggle the
spacing, that is what the template should do?

I have checked that I have my printer set to A4 and Word page set up to A4,
as suggested as a fix elsewhere on this forum but this does not help, and
would appreciate any tips to resolve the problem. I have asked around
colleagues at the office and they all seem to have the same problem. Is
there a patch/update I am missing?

--
IJ
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Ensure there is no zoom set in the print dialog.
Try printing on plain paper - does that work. If so, your printer has poor
label handling
Do you have a header/footer set in normal.dot? Temporarily rename normal.dot
and see if there is an improvement.
If not, you will have to adjust the label template until it does fit.

Ian wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ian

Thanks for this, my labels now work OK, but not quite sure why!

Should the zoom be set to A4, or simply no scaling?

I'm not familiar with normal.dot - what is it please? I have searched for
that file but cannot find it.
--
IJ

Ian wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Normal.dot is the default template for Word.
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...ocNotBlank.htm explains how to
locate it.

Scale to paper size should be set to 'No Scaling'.