Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Toskey Toskey is offline

Default mail merge word 2007 problems

Word crashes when I try "Finish & Merge" to the printer. If it doesn't crash,
it prints one page correctly and then this message on 2nd page:

Subsystem: KERNEL
Error: IlegalTag
Operator: 0x1b
Position: 2681

Also, when creating the merge document, I selected the correct Avery labels,
but the finished merge doc did not create the correct left margin. I had to
manually change it.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?VG9za2V5?=,

OK, this is a start, but we need more information in order to try to reproduce
(and thus report) the problem.

1. A label mail merge. OK. What label format (number)?

2. Which margin setting do you get, and what do you have to change it to?

3. If you merge to a new document does that finish correctly? If yes, what
happens when you try to print that?

4. What printer are you using?

Word crashes when I try "Finish & Merge" to the printer. If it doesn't crash,
it prints one page correctly and then this message on 2nd page:

Subsystem: KERNEL
Error: IlegalTag
Operator: 0x1b
Position: 2681

Also, when creating the merge document, I selected the correct Avery labels,
but the finished merge doc did not create the correct left margin. I had to
manually change it.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Toskey Toskey is offline

I have had significant, repeated problems bringing in merge documents created
in Word 2003 as well as creating from scratch.

Constant problem: with "margins of section 1 are set outside the printable
area of the page" with nothing I can find to correct it, for example. And if
I just click on "ignore" for every page, they print fine. But that's a LOT of
clicking... These merges worked flawlessly in Word03.

Ok, as to your questions:

Label format: Avery label 5160. (1x2.63, 3 across)
Margins created: Top: .5, Bottom: 0, Left and Right: .19

When you check margins and click ok, it gives you the warning and option to
fix margins. It does, to:

Top: .5, Bottom: .17, Left: .19 and right: .33

If you use these settings, you will print too far to the left for the labels.

I had to manually change the left margin to .4

Saving that, the labels print correctly.

The only way I can print is to merge to a new document and print that.

I did notice yesterday, that after printing a set of labels (after first
having it only print 1 page and the error message I originally posted), when
I went to print something else, a complete second set of the labels printed.
So I'm guessing they were still stored in memory somehow.

I print to a HP Laserjet 1200.

Hope this helps isolate what might be going on.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?VG9za2V5?=,

I have had significant, repeated problems bringing in merge documents created
in Word 2003 as well as creating from scratch.

Constant problem: with "margins of section 1 are set outside the printable
area of the page" with nothing I can find to correct it, for example. And if
I just click on "ignore" for every page, they print fine. But that's a LOT of
clicking... These merges worked flawlessly in Word03.

Right. This *could* be a problem with the printer driver not communicating
correctly with Word 2007. If you want to email me a couple of documents that
exhibit this behavior I'll test to see whether they do the same. If they do, I
can file a bug report and forward them to the Word team.

Please include:
- version of Word in which they were created
- your printer (so that I don't have to searching for this message thread)
- a small data source (two records or so) so I can test quickly

Email that gets through to me (remove all the spaces and substitute my name as
you see it in my signature): myNameAsOneWord @ mvps dot org

-----------

Label format: Avery label 5160. (1x2.63, 3 across)
Margins created: Top: .5, Bottom: 0, Left and Right: .19

Interesting. On my installation the Left and Right are both at .48 cm (which
corresponds more or less to .19 in). No messages here about the margins, and I
can send the print job directly to the printer.

This would seem to indicate a problem with your configuration. Besides the
printer driver, you should try closing Word and renaming Normal.dot(x/m) to
NormalOLD.dot. Start Word to have it generate a clean copy. Test once more.

Then check the HP website whether any updated drivers are available (I have an
HP Laserjet 4, so HP *can* do it :-)) and test again.

WP merge file to Word sstires Tables 4 February 14th 06 07:26 PM
Using Word Mail Merge feature for custom templates S.Sanghani Mailmerge 3 January 11th 06 11:22 AM