Warren

Default Chapter numbers on page but do not want outlines

Hi, I need chapter numbers and page numbers (e.g., 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, etc), and
have done this with outline numbers and formatting the page number to use it.
BUT, I don't want the outline numbers (1.1, 1.2, 2.1, etc) to appear before
the heading. Is there any way to do this easily?

Warren

Apply numbering to your Heading 1 (or whatever heading style you're using
for chapter numbering). In the Modify Outline Numbered List dialog, with
Heading 1 (or whatever) selected, click on Font and check the box for
Hidden. Click More and choose "Nothing" for "Follow number with." The number
will not show up in your heading but will be picked up correctly when you
use "Include chapter number" in the Format Page Number dialog.

The only slight downside to this technique is that there will be a space
before the heading in your TOC--I'm not sure why exactly.

"Warren" wrote in message
Hi, I need chapter numbers and page numbers (e.g., 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, etc),

and
have done this with outline numbers and formatting the page number to use

it.
BUT, I don't want the outline numbers (1.1, 1.2, 2.1, etc) to appear

before
the heading. Is there any way to do this easily?

Warren

Warren

Thanks. Helps a little. But I can't find the "More" button on that dialog
(I'm using the Mac version Office 2004 is that means anything). But just
hiding the font does make the numbers go away, but the space is not
acceptable. Andf it's the full space of that the numbers took up, probably
because I can't find the More button for additional options. With the space
still there, the TOC is off and the formatting overall of the heading in the
text looks funny.

I find it hard to believe that this can't be done easily.

Warren

"Warren" wrote in message
Hi, I need chapter numbers and page numbers (e.g., 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, etc),

and
have done this with outline numbers and formatting the page number to use

it.
BUT, I don't want the outline numbers (1.1, 1.2, 2.1, etc) to appear

before
the heading. Is there any way to do this easily?

Warren

Warren

Actually, now I have found the "Follow number with" "nothing" control. On
the Mac it's a arrow button and it was also expanded to show the controls. I
just missed it. It seems to work now. The main text where the headings are
doesn't seem to even have the space that was mentioned. The TOC does, but
it's so small. Seems to be quite acceptable now.

Many thanks.

Warren

"Warren" wrote in message
Hi, I need chapter numbers and page numbers (e.g., 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, etc),

and
have done this with outline numbers and formatting the page number to use

it.
BUT, I don't want the outline numbers (1.1, 1.2, 2.1, etc) to appear

before
the heading. Is there any way to do this easily?

Warren

I don't think I implied that the heading would have the space in the text,
just in the TOC. You can modify the TOC 1 style to have a slight negative
first-line indent if it really bothers you.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Apply numbering to your Heading 1 (or whatever heading style you're

using
for chapter numbering). In the Modify Outline Numbered List dialog,

with
Heading 1 (or whatever) selected, click on Font and check the box for
Hidden. Click More and choose "Nothing" for "Follow number with." The

number
will not show up in your heading but will be picked up correctly when

you
use "Include chapter number" in the Format Page Number dialog.

The only slight downside to this technique is that there will be a

space
before the heading in your TOC--I'm not sure why exactly.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.