Trying To Upgrade

Default margins that won't stay set

I have dozens of old Plain Text files to convert to Word documents. When I
edit one of these files using Notepad, I can change the margins, and the
change sticks. But when I edit that same file using Word, a default set of
margins is used, and changes that I make disappear when I save and exit. How
can I get the changes to stay?

The only solutions I have found so far involve doing an individual edit and
save-as on each file, or an edit and copy-and-paste into a new file on each
file, or other such time-consuming methods. I'm looking for a better answer.
Trying To Upgrade

When given to me, the files were Plain Text files (see Properties on File
drop-down menu) but had the file extension .doc (I don't know why or how).
Your question helped me to figure out the answer. I do a Save (not Save-As);
Word warns me that the file is Plain Text and I answer No to save with
formatting; Word displays a Save box with type Microsoft Word selected; when
enter is pressed to Save, the file is not renamed but the type is changed and
the settings stay set the way they should.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Are you saving the files as Word docs or as text files?

"Trying To Upgrade" Trying To wrote in
message ...