Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom Tom is offline

Default Registering Office Suite 2007

Well, I uninstalled the Outlook Express that came with my machine, but I
still can't register the Office Suite package. Any other suggestions? Is
there a Microsoft person monitoring this who could help, if even to provide a
phone number I could use?

Tom
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell[_2_] Terry Farrell[_2_] is offline

Tom

I'm unclear why you wanted to uninstall OE as that has absolutely no bearing
on using Office.

When you say you cannot register Office, would you clarify if you mean that
when you install it, Windows doesn't register it or do you mean it is
installed but you cannot 'activate' it on line with Microsoft?

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Tom" wrote in message
Well, I uninstalled the Outlook Express that came with my machine, but I
still can't register the Office Suite package. Any other suggestions? Is
there a Microsoft person monitoring this who could help, if even to
provide a
phone number I could use?

Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom Tom is offline

Terry,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

As for OE, that's what the guys at the store where I bought the computer
told me to do. Turned out to be more of an issue than I anticipated, as in
the process I accidently uninstalled IE as well. Had to go back in and reload
that.

When I get the screen for registering, I type in the 25-character Product
Key, but the system replies that the key is incorrect. It asks me to verify
the key and retype it. I get frustrated, so I bypass that step. Problem is,
as you know, if I don't register the various programs (Word, Excel, and such)
within the stated time frame, I'll start to lose functionality.

I seem to recall that just after I loaded Office Suite it allowed me to go
through one registration process (what I guess you call "activate"). Ever
since then the system won't accept the Product Key that I enter. Could it be
that the system already recognizes a Product Key being registered/activated?

Tom

"Tom" wrote in message
Well, I uninstalled the Outlook Express that came with my machine, but I
still can't register the Office Suite package. Any other suggestions? Is
there a Microsoft person monitoring this who could help, if even to
provide a
phone number I could use?

Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon Gordon is offline

"Tom" wrote in message
Terry,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

As for OE, that's what the guys at the store where I bought the computer
told me to do. Turned out to be more of an issue than I anticipated, as in
the process I accidently uninstalled IE as well.

Well I would definitely NOT give that store any more custom. They obviously
have NO IDEA what they are talking about.
Secondly, as you are running XP, you CANNOT uninstall OE or IE. All you did
was to remove ACCESS to them....
Your store should have known that.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell[_2_] Terry Farrell[_2_] is offline

I think the advice from the store is a red herring. Non-acceptance of the
product key has nothing to do with what is previously installed. You need to
call Microsoft and report this. It is a known bug that a batch of product
keys fail to work with Office 2003. They will give you a valid key. Make
sure that you have the CDs available when you call because they will almost
certainly ask you to give them some information written on the CD.

Terry

"Tom" wrote in message
Well, I uninstalled the Outlook Express that came with my machine, but
still can't register the Office Suite package. Any other suggestions?
Is
there a Microsoft person monitoring this who could help, if even to
provide a
phone number I could use?

Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom Tom is offline

Terry,

Just to clarify: I'm using Office 2007, not 2003.

I'd be happy to call Microsoft to report this apparent glitch. Which number
should I use? I can't find one on the package.

Tom

"Tom" wrote in message
Well, I uninstalled the Outlook Express that came with my machine, but
still can't register the Office Suite package. Any other suggestions?
Is
there a Microsoft person monitoring this who could help, if even to
provide a
phone number I could use?

Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell[_2_] Terry Farrell[_2_] is offline

Sorry: I missed this was Office 2007. It was definitely a bug with a batch
of Office 2003 CDs but I have not heard of it with Off2007. But I would
still call MS and report the problem.

This is the information that MS displays for getting help:

Support Info Online
For all of our support offerings, visit http://support.microsoft.com. In
Canada, visit Microsoft Canada Online.

TTY Users
Microsoft text telephone (TTY/TDD) services are available at (425) 635-4948
in Washington state or (800) 892-5234 in the U.S. Call (905) 568-9641 in
Canada.

Worldwide
Support outside the U.S. and Canada may vary. For regional contact details,
visit http://support.microsoft.com/international.aspx. If there is no
Microsoft subsidiary office in your country or region, please contact the
establishment from which you obtained your Microsoft product.

Terry

"Tom" wrote in message
Well, I uninstalled the Outlook Express that came with my machine,
but
still can't register the Office Suite package. Any other
suggestions?
Is
there a Microsoft person monitoring this who could help, if even to
provide a
phone number I could use?

Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom Tom is offline

Terry,

Your suggestion was helpful, but it didn't answer my problem. The article
posted on Microsoft's support page says the error response is caused by an
earlier version of a product already on the computer. Which is what I've been
told to date. (Although I'm trying to load office products, not web or e-mail
browsers.)

So I'm back to square one, and about ready to give up. I'll see if I can get
a live person by calling one of the support numbers. Something tells me
that'll be the only way to resolve this before my temp. activation runs out.

Tom