Ken K

Default How: header and footer print on first page only (Wordb2000)

Word 2000

I have set up logo stationary with the logo and names of a group in a
header and the address in the footer of a page. I would like to add
additional pages to the letter without having the header and footer
print. Do these have to be erased manually on each subsequent page or
is there a way to only have the header and footer print on the first page?

Thanks
Ken K
Anne Troy

Hi, Ken. Try one of these:
http://www.officearticles.com/word/c...osoft_word.htm
http://www.officearticles.com/word/c...oft _word.htm
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"Ken K" wrote in message
Word 2000

I have set up logo stationary with the logo and names of a group in a
header and the address in the footer of a page. I would like to add
additional pages to the letter without having the header and footer
print. Do these have to be erased manually on each subsequent page or
is there a way to only have the header and footer print on the first page?

Thanks
Ken K

Ken K

Thanks to you both for your responses. Here is the problem that I do
not seem to be able to solve readily without reconstructing my header:
I already have created the header and footer and would now like to
change the second and all additional pages.

I am used to using WordPerfect, where I can go in and see where the
commands are and correct them easily, if they are not in the correct
spot. Intuitively I can see in Word that the Page Setup should place a
command in front of the header and footer commands, but there is no way
that I can literally see where that command is placed.

Is there a way of placing the "First Page Only" formatting command into
a page that is already created or will I have to copy the header and
footer to a new page? If the latter, how would I copy a complete header
and footer onto another document?

Thanks
Ken K

Ken K wrote:

Word 2000

I have set up logo stationary with the logo and names of a group in a
header and the address in the footer of a page. I would like to add
additional pages to the letter without having the header and footer
print. Do these have to be erased manually on each subsequent page or
is there a way to only have the header and footer print on the first
page?

Thanks
Ken K

Daiya Mitchell

I can't see the replies you already got--did you change the subject line? So
if this is a repeat, sorry.

Turn on First Page Headers (File | Page Setup, Layout tab). View
Headers/Footers. If the First Page header is now blank, copy the regular
header into it. If necessary, delete the text in the regular header.

You copy between documents exactly the same way as within a doc--just view
headers/footers and copy into the appropriate location--but you don't need
to in this case.

Intuitively I can see in Word that the Page Setup should place a
command in front of the header and footer commands, but there is no way
that I can literally see where that command is placed.

What you say about "Intuitively...." in fact, I think that is exactly *not*
how Word works. It works very differently from WordPerfect, and I think a
lot of your confusion is caused by thinking it's the same. See these:

How Word differs from WordPerfect
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...ordPerfect.htm

Some Tips and "Gotchas" for those who are new to Word
Especially if migrating from WordPerfect
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...AndGotchas.htm

Is There Life After "Reveal Codes"?
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/General/RevealCodes.htm

WordPerfect to Word converters (and why none of them are perfect)
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...Converters.htm

Also, did anyone send you here, which is an excellent explanation of how
headers/footer work:
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm
And here, specifically re Letterhead:

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Ken K

What I am finding frustrating is not being able to copy the settings for
the header, only the text. Is there a way to copy the header
completely, including text, images, and formatting?

Thanks
Ken K

Ken K wrote:

Word 2000

I have set up logo stationary with the logo and names of a group in a
header and the address in the footer of a page. I would like to add
additional pages to the letter without having the header and footer
print. Do these have to be erased manually on each subsequent page or
is there a way to only have the header and footer print on the first
page?

Thanks
Ken K

Daiya Mitchell

Try control-A while in the header, as long as your graphic is in-line and
not set behind the text. But the graphic may be in the drawing layer--in
which case try double-clicking it and copying it separately. This will make
more sense after you've had a chance to read at least the first article I
recommended.

How did you insert the graphic?

Ken K wrote:

Word 2000

I have set up logo stationary with the logo and names of a group in a
header and the address in the footer of a page. I would like to add
additional pages to the letter without having the header and footer
print. Do these have to be erased manually on each subsequent page or
is there a way to only have the header and footer print on the first
page?

Thanks
Ken K

Ken K

Got it. I opened a new page, went into Page Layout, selected Different
First Page, and then set the margins of the header and footer the same
as the original.

When I went to the second page, there was no header or footer. The
trick was, indeed, to do the page layout before anything else.

The graphic was an .eps file. I attached the .doc file; happy to accept
suggestions...

KK

Ken K wrote:

Word 2000

I have set up logo stationary with the logo and names of a group in a
header and the address in the footer of a page. I would like to add
additional pages to the letter without having the header and footer
print. Do these have to be erased manually on each subsequent page or
is there a way to only have the header and footer print on the first
page?

Thanks
Ken K

Attached Files
File Type: doc rads names template 9 point.doc (25.0 KB, 290 views)
Daiya Mitchell

Technically you should not send attachments to these groups, as most people
will not open them and many people will not even see them.

I don't know why the image won't select with the text--it's set inline as
far as I can tell. But you seemed to have worked out the problem, so we'll
just chalk it up to the mysteries of Word. I'm sure there's a reason
somewhere, but I'm not very good with graphics.

On 6/19/05 2:12 PM, "Ken K" wrote:

What I am finding frustrating is not being able to copy the settings for
the header, only the text. Is there a way to copy the header
completely, including text, images, and formatting?

Thanks
Ken K

Charles Kenyon

Take a look at: How to set up letterhead or some other document where you
want one header on the first page and a different header on other pages.
http://www.addbalance.com/word/headersfooters.htm This gives step-by-step
instructions. (It also has the following links)

Some other pages to look at:

Letterhead Tips and Instructions
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/Letterhead.htm

Letterhead Textboxes and Styles tutorial
http://addbalance.com/word/download....StylesTutorial

Template Basics
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm

How to Create a Template - Part 2 - essential reading
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Custom...platePart2.htm

Word "Forms"
http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordw...rces.htm#Forms and

Word for Word Perfect Users
http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordperfect.htm if you are coming from a WP
environment (or even if you are not).

If you are interested in creating templates that will work with the letter
wizard or use that wizard, you should look at the chapter on Advanced
Document Formatting in Using Office 2003 (or whatever your version is),
Special Edition, by Ed Bott and Woody Leonhard. It has detailed instructions
including instructions on getting the fields you want from your Outlook
Contacts for addressing a letter. (Chapter 19 of SE Using Office 2003) You
should be able to get this through your public library or at Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...ncecheckbookA/

Finally, take a look at the letter templates that come with Word. While they
are no great shakes as letterhead, they do use styles and AutoText lists
very well. If you use the same style names that are used in those templates
in your own letterhead for the same parts of the document, you will have
better luck with using the built-in AutoText entries in Word.

Hope this helps,
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.