Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dan

Default Graphics copy from 'Net (they print) but not visible in onscreen .

When I select and copy all of an Internet page into Word, I see an empty box
-- but no graphic visual. They're "there," though because I can see them in
the clipboard if I copy or cut them -- and they print out fine.

Have tried "help" query but no key words seem to give me a "fix." Thanks in
advance for your perspective on how I can restore my ability to "see" the
graphics and the text in my onscreen work.

My best to all of you who guide an old, but inexperienced, fan of this great
forum...

Dan
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dan

When I was framing my Q to you all, I realized I should do a search of the
Usenet Q's with grapohics as a key word...I found a response to another Q
saying "uncheck Picture Placeholders" ...that worked...

Don't know how it became checked after two years without a problem...but
suspect you don't either...

Also found out it is "better to import, than copy into Word"..if you read
this, could you tell me if that means importing it with "Save Image As..." or
"Copy" then Copying the file and Pasting the image into the Word doc?

I'm glad I could solve the above one myself...I do try!

P.S. - Now I have to try posted reply in Outlook area that says "Detect and
Repair" might speed up my very slow Outlook rsponse top openoing emails and
the program itself (I know this is the Word area)...it would, I suppose, be
stupid to ask if 3000 emails contributes (I'll clean them up when I have time
but I get 100-plus per day...I haven't changed my email address in 6 years
and Junk gets through by the dozens each day despite protection...Oh
well...sorry to waste your time!

"Dan" wrote:

When I select and copy all of an Internet page into Word, I see an empty box
-- but no graphic visual. They're "there," though because I can see them in
the clipboard if I copy or cut them -- and they print out fine.

Have tried "help" query but no key words seem to give me a "fix." Thanks in
advance for your perspective on how I can restore my ability to "see" the
graphics and the text in my onscreen work.

My best to all of you who guide an old, but inexperienced, fan of this great
forum...

Dan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

It really warms my heart to see that someone actually thought to look
at previous responses. Sometimes it seems all anyone does is just
post. We answer the same questions time after time. So here's a big
Thank You!

About inserting web graphics: There's nothing wrong with copying from
the web page and pasting directly into a document for one-time use
(aside from possible copyright issues). If you plan to save the
document, edit it, print it more than once, or send it to someone
else, though, it's better to save the web graphic to a file on your
drive and then import that file into the Word document.

The reason is that there's no convenient way to separate the pasted
graphic from the document*; and even if you manage to do it, the
graphic may lose some detail because of a change of resolution. If
your only copy of the graphic is embedded in the document, and the
document becomes corrupted or is accidentally deleted or overwritten,
the graphic is gone (unless you remember where you got it originally).

*If you need to pull off this trick, see
http://www.gmayor.com/extract_images_from_word.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman