Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dermot Dermot is offline

Default Word 2003's Field Dialog Box

Can anyone provide me with an explanation or link to...........
Definitions / Uses of each of the entries in the Field Dialog box "Field
Names" listing?
Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Most of the field types are described in Word Help - if you can find the
Table of Contents, look for "Automating Taks and Programmability","Field
Types and Switches","Field Reference". You may have to look elsewhere for a
description of the "formula" field { = }.

Peter Jamieson
"Dermot" wrote in message
Can anyone provide me with an explanation or link to...........
Definitions / Uses of each of the entries in the Field Dialog box "Field
Names" listing?
Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dermot Dermot is offline

Hi Peter,
Thanks for the reply
I tried this but didn't find anything that summarises the Field listings,
what they do or how to use them.

"Dermot" wrote in message
Can anyone provide me with an explanation or link to...........
Definitions / Uses of each of the entries in the Field Dialog box "Field
Names" listing?
Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Each field type has a separate page (some small, some large) of explanation.

They are all there - it's just that each person has their own way of finding
stuff in Help. For example, if you use the Help search box to find "field
codes" you should be able to find most of them. If you want an overview,
search in help for "About fields".

Peter Jamieson

"Dermot" wrote in message
Can anyone provide me with an explanation or link to...........
Definitions / Uses of each of the entries in the Field Dialog box
"Field
Names" listing?
Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dermot Dermot is offline

Hi Peter,
Thanks again.
As you explained.....searching for them individually has given me results.
My search for a general overview was less successfull.
I don't normally have a problem with the help, I think I was expecting to
find a nicely summarised table!

Regards
Dermot

"Dermot" wrote in message
Can anyone provide me with an explanation or link to...........
Definitions / Uses of each of the entries in the Field Dialog box
"Field
Names" listing?
Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I don't normally have a problem with the help, I think I was expecting to
find a nicely summarised table!

Yes, it would probably be useful. There may be one on MSDN somewhere
(there's one in the new Word 2007 WordProcessingML specification somewhere
which is mostly OK but with some errors/omissions I think). I certainly
don't know of a source that documents every single possible field code
/well/, including Windows Word, Mac Word, and the various national-language
versions of the field codes and switches that were around until Word 6 or
Word 97, but I guess that would be overkill for most people:-)

Peter Jamieson

"Dermot" wrote in message
Can anyone provide me with an explanation or link to...........
Definitions / Uses of each of the entries in the Field Dialog box
"Field
Names" listing?
Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dermot Dermot is offline

Thanks Peter,
In hind sight, there is more information behind my my initial question than
I had anticipated.
Best wishes
Dermot