Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Woodbear99 Woodbear99 is offline

Default Does anyone know how to overprint a word 'Sample' on a document?

The subject is my message. Does MS Word have software that allows you to do
this? Please advise
--
Woodbear
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You don't say what version you have. If it's Word 2002 or 2003, use Format |
Background | Printed Watermark. If an earlier version, see €œHOW TO: Create a
Watermark in Word 97 and in Microsoft Word 2000€ at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=211324. If Word 2007, try Page Background
on the Page Layout tab.

"Woodbear99" wrote in message
The subject is my message. Does MS Word have software that allows you to

do
this? Please advise
--
Woodbear

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 16:15:00 -0700, Woodbear99
wrote:

The subject is my message. Does MS Word have software that allows you to do
this? Please advise

Depending on the version of Word:

In 2003, click Format Background Printed Watermark.
In 2007, click Page Layout Watermark Custom Watermark.

In both versions, this gets you to the same Printed Watermark dialog.
Click the option button for Text Watermark, which enables the fields
below it.

You can select the all-caps SAMPLE from the dropdown list, or you can
type any text you like into the box -- you aren't limited to what's in
the list. Set the font, size, and color as desired.

Many people find that leaving the Semitransparent box checked causes
every second letter of the watermark to disappear. Unchecking the box
brings the letters back, but doesn't seem to have any other effect on
the watermark -- I'm not sure what it was intended to do.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Woodbear99 Woodbear99 is offline

Default Does anyone know how to overprint a word 'Sample' on a documen

Thanks for the advice Jay...I have Word 2003 and I see the method:
Format/Background/Watermark. My problem is this: The document I want to
overprint 'Sample' on is a JPEG image. How do I convert it to a Word
document so that I can bring it up in Word 2003? OR...is there a way to
create a text watermark in Jasc or Photoshop? Please advise.
--
Woodbear

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

You can use the Insert Picture From File command to insert a JPEG
file into a Word document.

There's a wrinkle to this, though: If you insert the JPEG image in the
main body of the page and then insert a watermark (which is anchored
in the header, http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/AnchorToHeader.htm),
the watermark will always be behind the picture no matter what format
you apply to it. The fix for this is to open the header area, select
the watermark, and cut it to the clipboard; then close the header, put
the cursor next to the picture, and paste; finally right-click the
watermark and click Order Bring In Front of Text.

I'm not a user of JASC so I don't know about that, but it is possible
to do something similar in Photoshop without using Word at all. (These
instructions are from Photoshop LE 5.0, a freebie I got with a scanner
a long time ago, so some translation may be necessary.) With the
picture open, create a new layer. Click the Text tool, and click
somewhere in the canvas. The Text dialog opens; enter the text of the
watermark, choose the font and size (I used Arial Black at 64 pt), and
click OK. Use the rectangle tool to draw a selection around the text.
Click Edit Transform Rotate, and drag counterclockwise around the
selection to set it at an angle. Set the layer's transparency as
desired -- I thought about 40% looked good. Finally, click Layer
Flatten Image and save to a new filename.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Woodbear99 Woodbear99 is offline

Thank you Jay...I have Photoshop LE 5.0 and am familiar with layering...I
will try that next...should work.
--
Woodbear

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Woodbear99 Woodbear99 is offline

Thanks for the advice Jay. I see the method using Word 2003:
Format/Background/Watermark. But my problem is this...The document I want
to overprint is a JPEG image (actually an 1845 passport)...how can I convert
it to a Word document. OR...is there a way to create the overprint in Jasc or
Photoshop?
Please advise...thank you.
--
Woodbear