Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tavery tavery is offline

Default How do I get TOCs to inherit settings from the doc template?

I have a large number of docs based on a single doc template. However,
changes made to the TOC in the template are not recognized by the child docs.
Is there any way to avoid having to manually tweak each one?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

What kind of changes are you referring to? If you modified the TOC styles
(TOC 1--TOC 9) in the template, you can copy the modified styles to the
document.

On the other hand, if you are referring to settings of the TOC field (for
example, which styles Word should include in the TOC), those will not be
saved. What you can do is copy the TOC field itself to another document, or
save it as an AutoText entry for easy reuse.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"tavery" wrote in message
I have a large number of docs based on a single doc template. However,
changes made to the TOC in the template are not recognized by the child
docs.
Is there any way to avoid having to manually tweak each one?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

See also this article on document/template relationships in general:
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/temp...ons/index.html.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP