Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Officegirl Officegirl is offline

Default table style takes the font settings from my normal style rather thanmy theme style

I'm creating a template where I want all objects, charts and tables to
be in Verdana, but I want my headings AND my normal style to be in
Georgia.

I'm using Word 2007 and I created a theme where I said I want headings
to be in Georgia and my body text in Verdana.

This works partially. In my charts I get Verdana. It's 10 points
although I stated that I want 8 points on the "Set Defaults"-tab in
the Manage Styles box.

But in my tables I can't for the life of me achieve Verdana! It seems
that most tables are based on a Table Normal, and I guess that gets
its font from the Normal Style. I try to base my style on something
else but nothing works.

Please help me. How do I get Verdana in my table style?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Officegirl Officegirl is offline

I should add that what I'm trying to achieve is a table style!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Font settings and table styles don't mix, unfortunately. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/tablestyles/index.html.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Officegirl" wrote in message
I'm creating a template where I want all objects, charts and tables to
be in Verdana, but I want my headings AND my normal style to be in
Georgia.

I'm using Word 2007 and I created a theme where I said I want headings
to be in Georgia and my body text in Verdana.

This works partially. In my charts I get Verdana. It's 10 points
although I stated that I want 8 points on the "Set Defaults"-tab in
the Manage Styles box.

But in my tables I can't for the life of me achieve Verdana! It seems
that most tables are based on a Table Normal, and I guess that gets
its font from the Normal Style. I try to base my style on something
else but nothing works.

Please help me. How do I get Verdana in my table style?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Officegirl Officegirl is offline

Thanks for the answer. The article applies to Word 2002 and 2003. I
had heard that the reason for this problem is that Word had Times New
Roman set as a default style and there was nothing you could do to
change that. And with Word 2007 you can set your own default style
under the Set Defaults tab in the Manage Styles dialogue. I read
somewhere that this would solve problems like this. But apparently not.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Pam Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pam Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

When you specify settings in the normal style (font, line spacing, etc.),
normal may not change when you change the theme or the style set, both of
which change the doc defaults.

Also, settings in normal override settings in table styles unless normal is
"empty" (no font and line spacing specified). An empty normal looks
something like this: Font: (Default) Times New Roman, Left, Line spacing:
single, Widow/Orphan control, Style: Quick Style.

Ms Kelly's page is 4 or 5 years old. I agreed with her advice until 2 years
ago when I learned how to use tables styles effectively in W2003. Now that
they are improved in W2007 and the Microsoft developer's have explained a
bit about how the styles work and interact, I'm hoping she will revisit table
styles issues.

Pam

Officegirl wrote:
Thanks for the answer. The article applies to Word 2002 and 2003. I
had heard that the reason for this problem is that Word had Times New
Roman set as a default style and there was nothing you could do to
change that. And with Word 2007 you can set your own default style
under the Set Defaults tab in the Manage Styles dialogue. I read
somewhere that this would solve problems like this. But apparently not.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Although it may work better, it is still confusing, and I see no reason why
font formatting in table cells couldn't be more straightforward.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Officegirl wrote:
Thanks for the answer. The article applies to Word 2002 and 2003. I
had heard that the reason for this problem is that Word had Times New
Roman set as a default style and there was nothing you could do to
change that. And with Word 2007 you can set your own default style
under the Set Defaults tab in the Manage Styles dialogue. I read
somewhere that this would solve problems like this. But apparently not.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

If the document's body font and line spacing are set in the manage styles
set defaults tab and if the normal paragraph style is not modified, table
style fonts work as expected. That's pretty straightforward.

And note that to take advantage of document themes and style sets, you also
need to leave the normal paragraph style unmodified (empty).

Pam

Stefan Blom wrote:
Although it may work better, it is still confusing, and I see no reason why
font formatting in table cells couldn't be more straightforward.

When you specify settings in the normal style (font, line spacing, etc.),
normal may not change when you change the theme or the style set, both of

[quoted text clipped - 22 lines]
under the Set Defaults tab in the Manage Styles dialogue. I read
somewhere that this would solve problems like this. But apparently not.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Good point, but I think it could be even more straightforward. Why not have
table styles apply fonts correctly no matter the settings of the Normal
style and the Manage Styles dialog box?

By the way, have you tested if table styles now work better with *paragraph*
styles applied to text in the cells (another issue that Shauna discusses in
her article)?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Stefan Blom wrote:
Although it may work better, it is still confusing, and I see no reason
why
font formatting in table cells couldn't be more straightforward.

When you specify settings in the normal style (font, line spacing,
etc.),
normal may not change when you change the theme or the style set, both
of

[quoted text clipped - 22 lines]
under the Set Defaults tab in the Manage Styles dialogue. I read
somewhere that this would solve problems like this. But apparently not.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

I agree: it should be straightforward and not convoluted. A table style
should encompass all style parameters used in the table: font, paragraph,
alignment, language, borders and cell boundaries. Any changes made to the
formatting should be considered Direct Formatting and removable using Ctrl+Q
and/or Ctrl+Spacebar. There should not be any confusion with any other
style. If you apply a new Theme to the document, it should only affect the
table IF a different table style is included as part of the theme.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

Stefan Blom wrote:
Although it may work better, it is still confusing, and I see no reason
why
font formatting in table cells couldn't be more straightforward.

When you specify settings in the normal style (font, line spacing,
etc.),
normal may not change when you change the theme or the style set, both
of
[quoted text clipped - 22 lines]
under the Set Defaults tab in the Manage Styles dialogue. I read
somewhere that this would solve problems like this. But apparently not.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Stefan Blom wrote:
By the way, have you tested if table styles now work better with *paragraph*
styles applied to text in the cells (another issue that Shauna discusses in
her article)?

Yes, I have. Tested and use regularly. As long as normal is unmodified,
styled and manual formatting to table text works as expected. Actually, in
the formal and business documents I edit and format in W2007, text based
tables still need paragraph styles: two bullet levels and a heading style,
which I need for tables with spanner headings in the table body. They work
just fine.

Even for W2003, paragraph styles work with table styles if font and line
spacing are _not_ specified in the table style.

Pam

If the document's body font and line spacing are set in the manage styles

[quoted text clipped - 18 lines]