Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CherylV CherylV is offline

Default How do I keep a template attached when sending to folks off-site?

I have a template with autotext, styles and macros attached to a file. The
template is located on the company network. The template attached points to
the "wireless path" of this template so that users can access files from home
(via VPN) and work on the files through the internet.

My problem is when sending these files as attachements in email, or when
users save the files to their local drives, the template unattaches. Is
there a workaround for this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

The only workaround is to include the template in the email as another
attachment, and include instructions for how to save the template into the
User Templates or Workgroup Templates folder on the destination. Because
that path includes the name of the user's profile, that can't be set in
advance.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

CherylV wrote:
I have a template with autotext, styles and macros attached to a
file. The template is located on the company network. The template
attached points to the "wireless path" of this template so that users
can access files from home (via VPN) and work on the files through
the internet.

My problem is when sending these files as attachements in email, or
when users save the files to their local drives, the template
unattaches. Is there a workaround for this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CherylV CherylV is offline

Default How do I keep a template attached when sending to folks off-si

Thank you Jay. This is what I thought, however I'm not certain that the
technical abilities of those receiving the file are up to the task of saving,
and attaching a template, but I will give it a try.

CherylV wrote:
I have a template with autotext, styles and macros attached to a
file. The template is located on the company network. The template
attached points to the "wireless path" of this template so that users
can access files from home (via VPN) and work on the files through
the internet.

My problem is when sending these files as attachements in email, or
when users save the files to their local drives, the template
unattaches. Is there a workaround for this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

Hi Cheryl,

My problem is when sending these files as attachments in email, or when
users save the files to their local drives, the template unattaches.

That isn't actually correct. The template remains 'attached' to the
document.

When Word opens a document it follows a set of rules about which actual
template to open, taking into account, but not necessarily using, the
attached one. In particular it uses a template in the same folder as the
document in preference to the attached one if it has the same name (name
only, not path) as the attached one.

If you send your document and template together in a single folder then, if
that folder is saved by the recipient and the document in it opened, the
template in it will be used.

If users save local copies they need to save a copy of the template in the
same location as well. You could, perhaps, write a special save-to-local
macro which copied the template and document together.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

Troublesome toolbar ... Sharon M. Microsoft Word Help 9 July 15th 06 04:03 PM
How to I lock a template for modification only? PegSCK Microsoft Word Help 4 February 24th 06 09:45 PM
How Come? Michael Koerner Mailmerge 9 February 10th 06 10:29 PM
Templates gman Page Layout 17 April 22nd 05 06:35 PM
Moving templates to other computer GeorgeMar Microsoft Word Help 10 February 19th 05 04:59 AM