Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Strange formatting marks

I recieved a Word docuement from a co-worker. It contained some very
strange formatting marks like the letter "C" with little lines sticking
out and a partial "C" with the same little lines. I have no idea what
they are. The help screens don't help. So, my first question is:
Where is the documentation for all these formatting characters?
Secondly, does anyone know what those strange charcters I described
are? I have posted the document at:
http://www.ceanational.org/problem/wordcharacters.doc

Thanks for any assistance.

Therm

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

Those are end-of-cell and end-of-row markers. For more, see:

What do all those funny marks, like the dots between the words in my
document, and the square bullets in the left margin, mean?
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/NonPrintChars.htm

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
oups.com...
I recieved a Word docuement from a co-worker. It contained some

very
strange formatting marks like the letter "C" with little lines

sticking
out and a partial "C" with the same little lines. I have no idea

what
they are. The help screens don't help. So, my first question is:
Where is the documentation for all these formatting characters?
Secondly, does anyone know what those strange charcters I described
are? I have posted the document at:
http://www.ceanational.org/problem/wordcharacters.doc

Thanks for any assistance.

Therm

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Moreover, if you zoom in, you'll see that they are really more like circles
with "ears." The character used is U00A4 (ASCII 0164), the "universal
monetary symbol."

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
Those are end-of-cell and end-of-row markers. For more, see:

What do all those funny marks, like the dots between the words in my
document, and the square bullets in the left margin, mean?
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/NonPrintChars.htm

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
oups.com...
I recieved a Word docuement from a co-worker. It contained some

very
strange formatting marks like the letter "C" with little lines

sticking
out and a partial "C" with the same little lines. I have no idea

what
they are. The help screens don't help. So, my first question is:
Where is the documentation for all these formatting characters?
Secondly, does anyone know what those strange charcters I described
are? I have posted the document at:
http://www.ceanational.org/problem/wordcharacters.doc

Thanks for any assistance.

Therm

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Therm

Stefan,
Thank you for the response, but I do not think those are the
characteres I am referring to. In addition, Suzanne agreed with your
response and said "The character used is U00A4 (ASCII 0164.)" That is
not the character I am trying to understand. The formatting marks
like the letter "C" with little lines sticking out and a partial "C"
with the same little lines, not the ASCII 0164 character.
If you have a moment, take a look at my file. Thanks.

Therm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stefan Blom wrote:
Those are end-of-cell and end-of-row markers. For more, see:

What do all those funny marks, like the dots between the words in my
document, and the square bullets in the left margin, mean?
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/NonPrintChars.htm

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
oups.com...
I recieved a Word docuement from a co-worker. It contained some

very
strange formatting marks like the letter "C" with little lines

sticking
out and a partial "C" with the same little lines. I have no idea

what
they are. The help screens don't help. So, my first question is:
Where is the documentation for all these formatting characters?
Secondly, does anyone know what those strange charcters I described
are? I have posted the document at:
http://www.ceanational.org/problem/wordcharacters.doc

Thanks for any assistance.

Therm

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I assumed from Stefan's response that he HAD looked at your document. And in
fact I have just looked at it, and the only characters I see that begin to
answer your description are the end-of-cell and end-of-row markers. They
tend to look different at various Zoom ratios, but if you will view your
document at 500% Zoom, you will see that they are the character we describe.
The display of some of them is truncated because you have nested tables. I'm
guessing this must be something you pasted from the Web, as it is otherwise
unusual to see this many levels of nesting (all quite unnecessary).

ups.com...

Stefan Blom wrote:
Those are end-of-cell and end-of-row markers. For more, see:

What do all those funny marks, like the dots between the words in my
document, and the square bullets in the left margin, mean?
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/NonPrintChars.htm

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
oups.com...
I recieved a Word docuement from a co-worker. It contained some

very
strange formatting marks like the letter "C" with little lines

sticking
out and a partial "C" with the same little lines. I have no idea

what
they are. The help screens don't help. So, my first question is:
Where is the documentation for all these formatting characters?
Secondly, does anyone know what those strange charcters I described
are? I have posted the document at:
http://www.ceanational.org/problem/wordcharacters.doc

Thanks for any assistance.

Therm

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Hi Therm

Therm wrote:
Thank you for the response, but I do not think those are the
characteres I am referring to.

But they are.

My first assumption was that you are using a font which uses (slightly)
different characters for those marks. [I once had to work with a CI font
where the end-of-cell marker was indistinguishable from a small letter
"G" -- very annoying!!!]

In your case, though, they look like a "C" beceause they cut into the
right side (text boundaries visible under Tools | Options | View?).

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS