Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Annette Annette is offline

Default Measurement Units in Word

My default measurement unit in Word keeps returning to points. I go into
Tools - Options - General and reset the measurement unit to inches. It's
good for a while, then all of a sudden it's measuring in points. Is there
something else I should be doing in order to lock Word into inches?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Annette Annette is offline

Yes, because when I open "Options" and look at what is chosen from the
"Measurement units:" drop-down list it says Points

Annette wrote:
My default measurement unit in Word keeps returning to points. I go
into Tools - Options - General and reset the measurement unit to
inches. It's good for a while, then all of a sudden it's measuring
in points. Is there something else I should be doing in order to
lock Word into inches?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

OK -The character unit problem is more common, but Word 2003 particularly
has a bad habit of randomly changing settings in tools options, that are
stored in the Word data key of the registry. Deleting or renaming the Word
Data key in the registry is said to fix it - but the problem tends to
return. You can fix it permanently by adding the following line to an
autonew and an autoopen macro in normal.dot

Options.MeasurementUnit = wdInches

See http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm

Annette wrote:
My default measurement unit in Word keeps returning to points. I go
into Tools - Options - General and reset the measurement unit to
inches. It's good for a while, then all of a sudden it's measuring
in points. Is there something else I should be doing in order to
lock Word into inches?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Annette Annette is offline

Oh, boy...I've never done this before...but no better way to start out the
week but with a learning experience...Thank You!!!

Annette wrote:
My default measurement unit in Word keeps returning to points. I go
into Tools - Options - General and reset the measurement unit to
inches. It's good for a while, then all of a sudden it's measuring
in points. Is there something else I should be doing in order to
lock Word into inches?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you don't already have an autonet and an autoopen macro in the macro
listings, then simply copy the following

Sub Autoopen()
Options.MeasurementUnit = wdInches
End Sub
Sub AutoNew()
Options.MeasurementUnit = wdInches
End Sub

to the vba editor as shown in the web page.

At the bottom of that page you will see the same Autonew/open macros used to
address a number of the more common issues.