Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DLee

Default Cross Referencing (I think!)

Hi

I've created a legal document with specific clauses in. I need to be able
to update the reference to specific clauses if the main clause changes!! (if
you follow what I mean)

eg Clause 5.1 (if the original Clause changes to 4.1) I want the reference
to update automatically. How do I do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

On the Insert menu, click Reference, and then click Cross-reference.
Choose a "Reference type" (such as "Heading" or "Numbered paragraph")
and then, at "Insert reference to", pick the desired type of reference
(text or number).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"DLee" wrote in message
Hi

I've created a legal document with specific clauses in. I need to

be able
to update the reference to specific clauses if the main clause

changes!! (if
you follow what I mean)

eg Clause 5.1 (if the original Clause changes to 4.1) I want the

reference
to update automatically. How do I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Murtaza

Can I do this without formatting?

I want to insert 'Refrence' without formatting, in fact it should be
formatted where it placed.

Regards,
Murtaza

"DLee" wrote in message
Hi

I've created a legal document with specific clauses in. I need to

be able
to update the reference to specific clauses if the main clause

changes!! (if
you follow what I mean)

eg Clause 5.1 (if the original Clause changes to 4.1) I want the

reference
to update automatically. How do I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Murtaza

thanks a lot. it worked

Now could you please tell me the fastest way to insert this field "REF
CompanyName \*charformat"

Will AutoText work?

"DLee" wrote in message
Hi

I've created a legal document with specific clauses in. I need to
be able to update the reference to specific clauses if the main
clause changes!! (if you follow what I mean)

eg Clause 5.1 (if the original Clause changes to 4.1) I want the
reference to update automatically. How do I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

If you want the same cross-reference at multiple locations (within a
document), you can use copy and paste. An AutoText entry would be
pointless unless you know for certain that your document always has a
bookmark named CompanyName in it.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"DLee" wrote in message
Hi

I've created a legal document with specific clauses in. I

need to
be able to update the reference to specific clauses if the

main
clause changes!! (if you follow what I mean)

eg Clause 5.1 (if the original Clause changes to 4.1) I want

the
reference to update automatically. How do I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Murtaza

I have few Custom text field one of them is 'CompanyName', and i want to use
them while I drafting.
I am drafting a company written procedures, obviously its a lenghty
document.

this is how i want to use those custom fields while drafting:
......The content of a manual does not constitute nor should it be construed
as a promise of employment or as a contract between Co and any of its
employees....

In above example, I wish if "CO" automatically changes to refrence Field
with this fieldcode '{DOCPROPERTY "CompanyName" \*MERGEFORMAT}....just like
how AutoText work. OR Alternatively, if I can assign som keyboard shortcut
to insert this field.

Am I sound boring?