Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Jan L

Default Mail Merge Filters

I am trying to use the advanced filters. We have an Excel spreadsheet that
we have our list and are merging it with a form in Word. The Excel file
contains a number of criteria that we want to use to filter the merge
recipiants however it's not working. For example, one column of the Excel
spreadsheet contains a number code. I would like to select all but three
codes. So I selected, the field, "not equal to" and the entered the first
number code. I connected it with an "and" (I also tried "or") to the next
item, which was the same field, "not equal to" and the second number code and
followed that with the third line item with the next number code. There
should have been a lot more records selected than actually showed up. What
am I missing?

Second. I have been able to use two criteria and get that to work, but when
I want to go back and change the filter criteria, it's not viewable. Do I
always have to re-attach the Excel spreadsheet each time I want to change the
filter criteria?

Thank you for your help with this.
Jan
--
Jan L
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Word is not really the best thing to use for data manipulation. I would add
a column to your Excel spreadsheet that you populate with a 1 or a O by
using the formula/functions that are available in Excel and then use that
one column as a basis for filtering the records.

When you want to use some different criteria, modify the formula that
populates that column so that the required records are assigned the
appropriate value.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Jan L" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Jan L

Perhaps I didn't explain very well. The Excel spreadsheet keeps our data.
One of the data columns has a code, there are about 10 different codes that
are used in that column to represent the condition of the individual in that
record. In merging the information from the spreadsheet into the Word
document, this column tells us how to treat each individual, in other words,
if they should be receiving the letter that is being sent. In the current
situation, there are 7 codes in this particular column that represent the
individuals who will receive the letter and three codes will not be part of
the merge. So I was trying to select these specific individuals by using
the Filter capabilities in the advance merge selection. I hope this
clarifies our situation.
Jan L

"Jan L" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Yes, but I still suggest that you insert another column that gets populated
with one particular value if the column that your refer to contains one of
the seven codes and with another value if it does not. Then you only have
to filter for one thing from Word.

--

"Jan L" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

You could probably use the method shown in the section "Testing for a value
in one of several fields." at
http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm to test for values in the
same mergefield.
eg where the field in question is 'Field1' and the three values sought are 1
3 and 7 then the following inserted at the start of the merge document will
only merge records that do not have those numbers in that field:

{ SET CHECK { IF{ =({ IF{ MERGEFIELD Field1 } = "1" 1 0 } + { IF{ MERGEFIELD
Field1 } = "3" 1 0 } + { IF{ MERGEFIELD Field1} = "7" 1 0 }) } = 1 "TRUE"
"FALSE" } }{ SKIPIF { CHECK } = "TRUE" }