Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
RSMITH

Default Merginging into Word 2003 from Access/SQL

lright I know things were always better in the past but in this case
Mailmerge in Word 2000 worked brilliantly and simply. The same cannot be
said for 2003. It would appear that you cannot turn the wizard off and use
the same method that 200 did so well. Does anyone know why when I link a
table from SQL into Access 2000 and then attempt to merge into a W2003
document all the tables are transposed (postcode field shows data from the
address field, etc.) Better still, does anyone know if the Mailmerge wizard
can be turned off?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

You can certainly use the method you used in Word 2000 including the use of
the mail merge helper if you want, and you don't have to use the merge
wizard. The only thing that has really changed is the default method of
connection to the data, and even that isn't insurmountable.

See http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm

RSMITH wrote:
lright I know things were always better in the past but in this case
Mailmerge in Word 2000 worked brilliantly and simply. The same
cannot be said for 2003. It would appear that you cannot turn the
wizard off and use the same method that 200 did so well. Does anyone
know why when I link a table from SQL into Access 2000 and then
attempt to merge into a W2003 document all the tables are transposed
(postcode field shows data from the address field, etc.) Better
still, does anyone know if the Mailmerge wizard can be turned off?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

Does anyone know why when I link a
table from SQL into Access 2000 and then attempt to merge into a W2003
document all the tables are transposed (postcode field shows data from the
address field, etc.)

I don't, but...

Better still, does anyone know if the Mailmerge wizard
can be turned off?

You don't have to use it.

You can enable the Mailmerge toolbar (it doesn't appear/disappear the way it
did in Word 2000) using Tools|Customize.

To get the old Mail merge helper back, go into Tools|Customize|Commands,
select category All Commands, then locate MailMergeHelper in the right hand
column and drag it to a toolbar (e.g. the MailMerge Toolbar).

However, none of those things will get back the old default connection
mechanism (DDE) - to do that, check Word Tools|Options|General|Confirm
conversion at open, try going through the connection process again, and
select DDE when offered, or ODBC, if that is what you used before (in which
case you would have used the Select Method checkbox in the old Open Data
Source dialog)

That may be enough to make things work right again, but if you have not yet
tried reconnecting using the new method (OLEDB) I think it is worth one more
go.

Peter Jamieson

"RSMITH" wrote in message
lright I know things were always better in the past but in this case
Mailmerge in Word 2000 worked brilliantly and simply. The same cannot be
said for 2003. It would appear that you cannot turn the wizard off and
use
the same method that 200 did so well. Does anyone know why when I link a
table from SQL into Access 2000 and then attempt to merge into a W2003
document all the tables are transposed (postcode field shows data from the
address field, etc.) Better still, does anyone know if the Mailmerge
wizard
can be turned off?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
RSMITH

Peter - many thanks - that solved the problem of the new wizard perfectly -
co-incidently it has resolved the problem of data being transposed into the
wrong column.
Roger Smith