Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Margo Margo is offline

Default suddenly lost word 2007 docs

have now lost two files --nowhere to be found, even though ive saved
frequently. Cant find via search. they were both opened originally in
outlook. any ideas
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You should never open Word attachments directly from e-mail - however it
*may* be possible to recover your changes. See
http://www.gmayor.com/outlook_attachments.htm . This page is for Word 2003,
but the information is similar for 2007.

margo wrote:
have now lost two files --nowhere to be found, even though ive saved
frequently. Cant find via search. they were both opened originally in
outlook. any ideas

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 07:18:00 -0700, margo
wrote:

have now lost two files --nowhere to be found, even though ive saved
frequently. Cant find via search. they were both opened originally in
outlook. any ideas

If you open an email attachment directly by double-clicking it,
Outlook saves the file into a temporary folder and then tells Word to
open it. You edit and save, but all that happens in the temporary
folder. When you close the email, Outlook helpfully deletes the
temporary folder, and all your effort is wasted.

NEVER open an attached document directly from the email unless you
only want to read it. Instead, save the attachment to a real folder,
and then open that copy to edit.

If you're really lucky, your document might still be in a temporary
folder somewhere. Try searching for some word or phrase in the body of
the document, rather than for the file name. In Windows Explorer, be
sure to go to Tools Folder Options View and set the option to show
hidden folders.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Margo Margo is offline

thank you thank you graham!! i am forever indebted!!! you have saved my
weekend...
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Char Char is offline

As I just exclaimed to my husband, we may have to give you our firstborn.
I've spend the last several hours trying to find a document and your advice
helped me locate it (even though I didn't open the file in Outlook and I did
download the original file onto my desktop prior to working on it.) Thank
You!!!!!!

margo wrote:
have now lost two files --nowhere to be found, even though ive saved
frequently. Cant find via search. they were both opened originally in
outlook. any ideas

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I have had quite enough of children for one lifetime. Your first born is
safe
Glad you found the web page useful.