Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
perplexed1 perplexed1 is offline

Default How do I install MS word on computer that only has a USB drive?

I just bought a used laptop that has no DVD slot. It only has 2 USB ports.
How do I install microsoft office word, excell, etc?

Thank you for any help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 16:33:00 -0700, perplexed1
wrote:

I just bought a used laptop that has no DVD slot. It only has 2 USB ports.
How do I install microsoft office word, excell, etc?

Thank you for any help.

A few possibilities:

- If the laptop has WiFi or Ethernet networking, use a DVD drive on another
computer that you share over the network.

- Buy a USB stick ("thumb drive", etc.) and use another computer to copy the
contents of the DVD to the USB stick, which you can then plug into the laptop.
You might get by with a 4 GB stick, but 8 GB would be more certain (the DVD
capacity is 4.7 GB).

- Buy a USB-connected external DVD drive (for examples, see
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...rder=BESTMATCH)
and attach it to the laptop.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
perplexed1 perplexed1 is offline

Thank you very much for your response. Unfortunately, I am a total dunce with
regard to this issue. Could you please give me specifics on HOW to copy the
DVD to the USB stick? Thank you.

wrote:

I just bought a used laptop that has no DVD slot. It only has 2 USB ports.
How do I install microsoft office word, excell, etc?

Thank you for any help.

A few possibilities:

- If the laptop has WiFi or Ethernet networking, use a DVD drive on another
computer that you share over the network.

- Buy a USB stick ("thumb drive", etc.) and use another computer to copy the
contents of the DVD to the USB stick, which you can then plug into the laptop.
You might get by with a 4 GB stick, but 8 GB would be more certain (the DVD
capacity is 4.7 GB).

- Buy a USB-connected external DVD drive (for examples, see
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...rder=BESTMATCH)
and attach it to the laptop.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Assuming you have access to a computer that has both a built-in DVD drive and a
USB port:

- Put the Office DVD in the DVD drive. If you get a popup asking what program to
run, or if the Office installer starts automatically, click the Cancel button --
you don't want anything running yet.

- Plug in the USB stick.

- Open Windows Explorer (also called "My Computer" or just "Computer", depending
on the version of Windows).

- On the left side, identify the icon of the USB stick, which will appear with a
drive letter like any other drive. You might want to right-click it and select
Properties to look at the amount of free space, to make sure there's enough to
hold the contents of the DVD.

- On the left side, click once on the icon of the DVD drive. You should see a
set of files and folders on the right side.

- Click once anywhere on the right side, then press Ctrl+A to select all the
files and folders. Right-click somewhere in the selected files and choose Copy.

- Right-click the icon of the USB stick on the left side and choose Paste. It
will probably take several minutes to copy the files to the USB stick.

wrote:

I just bought a used laptop that has no DVD slot. It only has 2 USB ports.
How do I install microsoft office word, excell, etc?

Thank you for any help.

A few possibilities:

- If the laptop has WiFi or Ethernet networking, use a DVD drive on another
computer that you share over the network.

- Buy a USB stick ("thumb drive", etc.) and use another computer to copy the
contents of the DVD to the USB stick, which you can then plug into the laptop.
You might get by with a 4 GB stick, but 8 GB would be more certain (the DVD
capacity is 4.7 GB).

- Buy a USB-connected external DVD drive (for examples, see
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...rder=BESTMATCH)
and attach it to the laptop.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
perplexed1 perplexed1 is offline

A great big THANK YOU! You've been extremely helpful (and extremely patient).
It worked just like you said. Thank you!