increasing left coumn causes first column to become too narrow

Old March 6th 10, 08:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
John

Default increasing left coumn causes first column to become too narrow

I have tried to change the margins in a converted PDF file. No matter what
I do, I keep getting this error message. Any suggestions?
Old March 6th 10, 09:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Please provide more information. What margin settings are you using, how
many columns? etc. etc.?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Old March 6th 10, 11:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The message is at least partly bogus, but the way around it is to go to
Format | Columns and click on the preset picture for One (even if you
already have just a single column), which will check the "Equal column
width" box and result in a correct column width. If possible, do this with
"Whole document" selected under "Apply to." Then click OK. You'll probably
notice that the column width shown changes.

http://word.mvps.org

Old March 10th 18, 10:56 PM
haleba haleba is offline

Originally Posted by Suzanne S. Barnhill View Post

"John" wrote in message

I have tried to change the margins in a converted PDF file. No matter
what
I do, I keep getting this error message. Any suggestions?
I am having this exact issue with a PDF that I think was formatted with extremely small "page" sizes, possibly for the purpose of folding.

Ms. Barnhill's idea succeeded for me in Word 2010 with the clarification that this feature (Word 2010) is found in the Columns dialog in the Page Layout tab, but selecting one column didn't work at first: I got a second error about the left column.

I was able to work around this by attempting to manually change the column width (setting it to 2" instead of 1.47"), which did not stick but somehow "jogged" the formatting enough to allow changing the page orientation to landscape for the entire document, which then allowed changing the paper size.
Old March 13th 18, 12:51 AM
haleba haleba is offline

I had this exact problem after converting a PDF that had an extremely small custom page size, probably for the purpose of folding.

Ms Barnhill's idea didn't work at first using Word 2010: I started getting an error about the left margin after attempting to set the entire document to one column.

I was able to work around this by attempting to manually change the column width. The change wouldn't take, but apparently was enoguh to "jog" the document formatting and I was able to successfully change the orientation to landscape and then change the paper size and set the margins that I wanted.

Quote:

Old March 13th 18, 06:01 PM
Charles K. Kenyon Charles K. Kenyon is offline
Member

Originally Posted by haleba View Post
I had this exact problem after converting a PDF that had an extremely small custom page size, probably for the purpose of folding.

***
I almost always find it easier with converted documents to copy the text and paste it in a new document a plain text and do the formatting from there.

There is no conversion method that gives a clean Word document. If the pdf was originally a Word document saved as pdf by Office, the results are best, but still not "clean."
Old March 28th 18, 09:10 AM
victorj victorj is offline

"John" wrote in message

I have tried to change the margins in a converted PDF file. No matter
what
I do, I keep getting this error message. Any suggestions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by haleba View Post
I am having this exact issue with a PDF that I think was formatted with extremely small "page" sizes, possibly for the purpose of folding.

Ms. Barnhill's idea succeeded for me in Word 2010 192.168.0.1 with the clarification that this feature (Word 2010) is found in the Columns dialog in the Page Layout tab, but selecting one column didn't work at first: I got a second error about the left column.

I was able to work around this by attempting to manually change the column width (setting it to 2" instead of 1.47"), which did not stick but somehow "jogged" the formatting enough to allow changing the page orientation to landscape for the entire document, which then allowed changing the paper size.
I have a similar issue with a PDF
Old March 28th 18, 03:57 PM
Charles K. Kenyon Charles K. Kenyon is offline
Member

Originally Posted by victorj View Post
I have a similar issue with a PDF
Hello Victor,

This forum is about Microsoft Word, not pdf. If you need help with a pdf, I suggest an Adobe forum.

If you are talking about a pdf converted into a Word document, my previous post stands. Try selecting all the text, copying, and then pasting into a new document as plain text.

Converted documents often have very erratic margin settings.

How can I format footnotes to sit in narrow column on left side? Georgia Microsoft Word Help 2 June 20th 07 09:14 AM
increasing right margin causes last column to become too narrow jim Page Layout 4 December 20th 06 05:00 PM
How do I remove returns in a long narrow column of Word text? D Microsoft Word Help 1 November 21st 05 10:04 PM
how do i fix coumn james Mailmerge 0 April 21st 05 02:34 PM
ERROR MESSAGE: INCREASING LEFT MARGIN CAUSES 1ST COLUMN TO BECOME. LLunger Microsoft Word Help 2 February 18th 05 12:10 AM