ITILMan

Default Justifed text in Numbered lists, last line of parapgraph spacing m

In numbered lists, when I use shift-enter to create a line space between 2
paragraphs within the same number in the list, justifed text in the last
line of the paragrah above the line break, looks terrible. It justifies 2-3
words across the entire line. Word doesn't do this when I hit enter, and move
to the next number in the sequence (it left-justifies the last line), only
when I try to add a paragraph within the number.

How can I make justification see the multiple paragraphs under a single
number in a numbered list as actuall paragraphs? i.e. NOT justify the end of
a paragraph (instead, justifed the last line of all multiple paragraphs)

Please help

DC
Jezebel

Don't use Shift-Enter. Format the following paragraphs indented but without
the number. Shift-Enter tells Word that you are continuing the *same*
paragraph. Personally, I'd switch off the justification, too, given that
Word's justification is a typographic obscenity. But that's a separate
issue.

"ITILMan" wrote in message
In numbered lists, when I use shift-enter to create a line space between 2
paragraphs within the same number in the list, justifed text in the last
line of the paragrah above the line break, looks terrible. It justifies
2-3
words across the entire line. Word doesn't do this when I hit enter, and
move
to the next number in the sequence (it left-justifies the last line), only
when I try to add a paragraph within the number.

How can I make justification see the multiple paragraphs under a single
number in a numbered list as actuall paragraphs? i.e. NOT justify the end
of
a paragraph (instead, justifed the last line of all multiple paragraphs)

Please help

DC

Beth Melton

I suggest using the method both Suzanne and Jezebel provided but if
you'd rather change the justification behavior of the lines than end
in a manual line bread (Shift + Enter) then go to
Tools/Options/Compatibility and turn on: "Don't expand character
spaces on the line ending in Shift + Return".

Also, while you're there you may want to try turning on "Do full
justification like WordPerfect 6.x for Windows". It's *much* better
than Word's justification.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"ITILMan" wrote in message
[...]

You can also prevent justification without changing the option by just
adding a tab character at the end of the line (before the line break).

"ITILMan" wrote in message
[...]

Line Spacing Question Peyton Todd Microsoft Word Help 10 February 3rd 05 06:25 PM
Why is line spacing different between printers in document Office. Gmsmith10 Microsoft Word Help 1 January 18th 05 01:32 AM
HOWTO: keep para text on same line as numbered heading w/diff. for vballDrummer Page Layout 3 January 15th 05 08:31 PM
Outline Renee Hendershott Page Layout 2 December 25th 04 03:49 PM
textbox to normal text Jack Sons New Users 16 December 5th 04 04:44 PM