Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Rick Rick is offline

Default Orphan Control with Frames

Using Word 2003, whenever I try to use frames for images in my document,
orphan/widow control no longer works. That is, if I have a paragraph that
starts near a figure at the bottom of the page or ends near a figure at the
top of a page, Word will gladly allow a widow or orphan line, even though
that option is checked. Additionally, frames seems to make Word ignore other
paragraph flow operators like "Keep with next."
Are there any work-arounds? For now I've just been playing with the length
of paragraphs manually by adjusting spacing between sections etc. to prevent
single lines. But I'd like a long-term automatic solution.
Please don't suggest using in-line images. I need images at the top or
bottom of a page regardless of whether I'm between paragraphs, and I'm not
interested in faking it by manually splitting paragraphs.
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Word seems to have difficulties handling this correctly. I don't know of a
workaround other than the ones you have already mentioned.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Rick" wrote:

Using Word 2003, whenever I try to use frames for images in my document,
orphan/widow control no longer works. That is, if I have a paragraph that
starts near a figure at the bottom of the page or ends near a figure at the
top of a page, Word will gladly allow a widow or orphan line, even though
that option is checked. Additionally, frames seems to make Word ignore other
paragraph flow operators like "Keep with next."
Are there any work-arounds? For now I've just been playing with the length
of paragraphs manually by adjusting spacing between sections etc. to prevent
single lines. But I'd like a long-term automatic solution.
Please don't suggest using in-line images. I need images at the top or
bottom of a page regardless of whether I'm between paragraphs, and I'm not
interested in faking it by manually splitting paragraphs.
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I think Word has trouble calculating line lengths next to frames and bases
its page breaks on where the line breaks would be if the frame were not
there. I noticed this many years ago when I was using stationery that had a
frame creating an artificially wide left margin on the first page and
decided it was something I'd just have to live with, though of course it's
not ideal.

http://word.mvps.org

"Rick" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Thank you for the explanation, which certainly sounds likely (but it's still
annoying).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Rick" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

IIRC, it's very apparent if you view the page in Normal view (where frames
are not in place); the line breaks of course are different since the lines
are wrapping to full margin width, and you can see that Word thinks there
will be two lines before a page break where there in fact is only one
(because lines above, wrapping shorter, have pushed the text down).