Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
english english is offline

Default File Size

Hi: I noticed that one of my chapters - only 7 pages - has more bytes than
chapters twice its size. I have not set 'versions' on any of the files, nor
do I have pictures or embedded objects in any of the files. I'm curious why
this file is larger. Any suggestions???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
english english is offline

Nope, just text. 7 pages of purely text in paragraphs. I've revised the
chapter many times, but I don't see where that would make the file bloated;
nor is there any fancy formatting. Just text. Thanks.

"english" wrote:

Hi: I noticed that one of my chapters - only 7 pages - has more bytes

than
chapters twice its size. I have not set 'versions' on any of the files,

nor
do I have pictures or embedded objects in any of the files. I'm curious

why
this file is larger. Any suggestions???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pop` Pop` is offline

"english" wrote:

Hi: I noticed that one of my chapters - only 7 pages - has more
bytes than chapters twice its size. I have not set 'versions' on
any of the files, nor do I have pictures or embedded objects in any
of the files. I'm curious why this file is larger. Any
suggestions???

I -think- Fast Saves will cause bloat that way. Try turning it off (if you
have it on) and see what happens.

Pop`

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

There are a number of reasons for excessive file size, including:

1. Fast Saves: Disable this at on the Save tab of Tools | Options.

2. Preview Pictu Clear the check box on the Summary tab of File |
Properties.

3. Versions (File | Versions): Make sure "Automatically save version on
close" is not turned on.

4. Revisions (Tools | Track Changes):
Highlight Changes: Make sure "Highlight changes on screen" is turned on
(or that "Final Showing Markup" is displayed).
Accept/Reject Changes: If "Accept All" or "Reject All" is available then
revisions are present; accept or reject all changes, then turn Track Changes
off.

5. Embedded True Type fonts (Tools | Options | Save); embedding fonts should
be avoided wherever possible.

6. Embedded graphics: When feasible, it is preferable to link the graphics.
That is, when you insert the graphic, click the arrow beside Insert in the
Picture dialog and choose Link to File rather than Insert or Insert and
Link.

7. Embedded objects: These are even worse than ordinary graphics saved with
the document. If you see an { EMBED } code, the graphic is an OLE object.
Unless you need to be able to edit the object in place, unlink it using
Ctrl+Shift+F9.

8. File format: Make sure you are saving as a Word document; in some cases
..rtf (Rich Text Format) files are significantly larger than .doc files.

9. Document corruption: See
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm.

"english" wrote in message
Hi: I noticed that one of my chapters - only 7 pages - has more bytes than
chapters twice its size. I have not set 'versions' on any of the files,

nor
do I have pictures or embedded objects in any of the files. I'm curious

why
this file is larger. Any suggestions???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Display the paragraph marks (CTRL+* or press the ¶ button) then select all
the document *except the last paragraph mark*. Copy to a new document and
save it. Is that any better?

"english" wrote:

Hi: I noticed that one of my chapters - only 7 pages - has more
bytes than chapters twice its size. I have not set 'versions' on
any of the files, nor do I have pictures or embedded objects in any
of the files. I'm curious why this file is larger. Any
suggestions???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The file had some minor corruption. The document formatting is stored in
hidden part of the file structure that encompasses the area of the last
paragraph mark. You have cleared that out, hence the reduction in size.

You could examine the files using the script editor ALT+SHIFT+F11 which may
reveal the differences.