Default mulitple caption cross-reference?

Hi all,
I haven't been able to find this answer in the discussion groups; I'd
appreciate
help, whether in the form of an answer or pointing me in the right
direction.

I'm writing a document with figures and tables galore. All my figures
have
captions, which I use to cross-reference. However, I often need to
refer to
multiple figures in one sentence (e.g., "As shown in Figures 3 and
4..."), and
the only thing I can do right now is "As shown in Figure 3 and Figure
4..."
While that works, it gets pretty unwieldy for more than two references.

As far as I can tell from Word help, doing a multi-numbered reference
is
possible only with numbered paragraphs. Does anyone know how to do it
with
captioned items?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

It's a bit fiddly, but it can be done.

1. Insert all the cross-references as usual (see Figure 3, Figure 4, and
Figure 5). You *must* do this first to force Word to create the necessary
bookmarks.

2. Go to the caption of Figure 2 and select just the 2.

3. Open the Insert | Bookmark dialog. Check the box for "Hidden bookmarks"
and select the radio button for "Location."

4. The bookmark that is highlighted is the one for the caption you have
selected. Click on Add to reinsert it around just the number.

5. Repeat for Figures 3 and 4.

7. Select the cross-references and F9 to update the fields.

Once you get the hang of it, you can do this faster than you can read the
instructions.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Well, I'm glad you could follow it since I started with Figures 3, 4, and 5
and continued with Figures 2, 3, and 4!

oups.com...

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
It's a bit fiddly, but it can be done.

1. Insert all the cross-references as usual (see Figure 3, Figure 4, and
Figure 5). You *must* do this first to force Word to create the

necessary
bookmarks.

2. Go to the caption of Figure 2 and select just the 2.

3. Open the Insert | Bookmark dialog. Check the box for "Hidden

bookmarks"
and select the radio button for "Location."

4. The bookmark that is highlighted is the one for the caption you have
selected. Click on Add to reinsert it around just the number.

5. Repeat for Figures 3 and 4.

one.

7. Select the cross-references and F9 to update the fields.

Once you get the hang of it, you can do this faster than you can read

the
instructions.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

wrote in message
[...]

Just a quick follow up (and no worries about the changing numbers!)
related to how this technique should affect other references to
captions.

I also refer to captions individually (e.g., "As shown in Figure
1..."); upon a global update (F9), these are replaced with just the 1.
Should that be the case? (It's not a big problem, for it's pretty easy
to just type "Figure" in front of the number, but I'm just curious if
I'm doing things the right way).

State another way, in the Bookmark dialog, do I want to select the
_Ref### for the cross-reference or for the number of the caption?

Thanks,
Andrew

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Well, I'm glad you could follow it since I started with Figures 3, 4, and 5
and continued with Figures 2, 3, and 4!

oups.com...

wrote in message
[...]

Okay, this is a ramification I hadn't thought about, but here's how it
works:

1. You've moved the bookmark for a specific cross-reference using the
procedure I described.

2. You now need to insert a reference to a single figure. Return to the
Insert | Reference | Cross-reference dialog and insert the new
cross-reference the same way you inserted the first one, by selecting
"Figure" as the "Reference type" and "Only label and number" under "Insert
reference to."

3. This creates a new bookmark for the label and number, as you can see if
you look at the list of bookmarks.

FWIW, I've written an article that give the step-by-step for the first part
of the process; see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/CombineXrefs.htm

oups.com...

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Well, I'm glad you could follow it since I started with Figures 3, 4,

and 5
and continued with Figures 2, 3, and 4!

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

oups.com...

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
It's a bit fiddly, but it can be done.

1. Insert all the cross-references as usual (see Figure 3, Figure 4,

and
Figure 5). You *must* do this first to force Word to create the

necessary
bookmarks.

2. Go to the caption of Figure 2 and select just the 2.

3. Open the Insert | Bookmark dialog. Check the box for "Hidden

bookmarks"
and select the radio button for "Location."

4. The bookmark that is highlighted is the one for the caption you

have
selected. Click on Add to reinsert it around just the number.

5. Repeat for Figures 3 and 4.

first
one.