Ralph Long Ralph Long is offline
Junior Member

Default Supress blank fields in merged doc

I can't seem to find an answer to this, but it may exist elsewhere. I am trying to create a packing slip using a Word doc using an Excel sheet as the merge source. On each row of the Excel sheet, I have the recipient name, address, etc and at the end of each row, i have 8 rows that list a quantity for a particular item. I have the merge fields set and it is working except I need to be able to skip the items that don't list a quantity (blanks). The blank fields may occur in the middle of the row. For example.

5 Yr 10 Yr 15 Yr 20 Yr 25 Yr 30 Yr 35 Yr 40 Yr 45 Yr 50 Yr
3 3
5 "blank" 2 1 1 1
2 2 2 1 1

What I end up for the second row above is this:

Quantity Unit Item No. Description
5 5 Year Pin
2 10 Year Pin
1 15 Year Pin
1 20 Year Pin
1 25 Year Pin

Instead of the correct:

Quantity Unit Item No. Description
5 5 Year Pin
2 15 Year Pin
1 20 Year Pin
1 25 Year Pin
1 30 Year Pin

If I have to manually place the labels (5 year pin, etc) on the main document, I can do that, but the merge would have to insert a space where the empty cell is so the alignment will work correctly.

Any Help would be GREATLY appreciated.