Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ish Ish is offline

Default How can I put chapters each with separate endnotes into one doc?

I have all the chapters of my book saved in separate documents. I have been
told to put it all together into one document. How can I do this and still
keep the endnotes for each chapter separate (ie appearing immediately at the
end of each chapter)??? I don't want to change the notes into footnotes or
into endnotes all together at the end of the document.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kevin B Kevin B is offline

If you place each chapter in its own section you can set the endnotes to
print at the end of the section instead of at the end of the document.
--
Kevin Backmann

"Ish" wrote:

I have all the chapters of my book saved in separate documents. I have been
told to put it all together into one document. How can I do this and still
keep the endnotes for each chapter separate (ie appearing immediately at the
end of each chapter)??? I don't want to change the notes into footnotes or
into endnotes all together at the end of the document.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ish Ish is offline

Default How can I put chapters each with separate endnotes into one do

Thanks very much for your quick response. Sorry to be incompetent, but I
don't know how to combine the documents (there are 18 of them) and the help
from office help was not clear at all. How do I add them together but keep
them as separate sections??

"Ish" wrote in message
I have all the chapters of my book saved in separate documents. I have

been
told to put it all together into one document. How can I do this and still
keep the endnotes for each chapter separate (ie appearing immediately at

the
end of each chapter)??? I don't want to change the notes into footnotes or
into endnotes all together at the end of the document.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

First insert a section break at the end of each separate chapter file
(Insert | Break | Section Break: Next page). Then make a copy of Chapter 1
(or whatever the first document is). At the end of that document (after the
section break you added), use Insert | File to insert Chapter 2. After the
section break at the end of Chapter 2 (in the combined document), insert
Chapter 3. Continue until you have added them all.

Each chapter will be separated from the others by a section break (thus
preserving any specific headers and footers you have added, etc.). Provided
you don't have any other section breaks in the document, your endnotes will
be at the end of each chapter after you go to Insert | Reference | Footnote,
select Endnotes, make the appropriate choices for formatting, select
"Restart each section," make sure "Whole document" is select for "Apply
changes to," and click Apply.

For more on working with sections, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...thSections.htm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Combine the documents and select "Restart each section" in the Endnote
dialog. Note that this will work only if each chapter is a single

section.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Ish" wrote in message
I have all the chapters of my book saved in separate documents. I have

been
told to put it all together into one document. How can I do this and

still
keep the endnotes for each chapter separate (ie appearing immediately

at
the
end of each chapter)??? I don't want to change the notes into

footnotes or
into endnotes all together at the end of the document.

Donald Stansloski Donald Stansloski is offline
Junior Member

Smile

Good morning.

None of the ideas I have found worked and I have puzzled over this for a day or two. This did work for me.

Convert all the endnotes in each chapter to footnotes. To do this choose references, footnotes choose convert, pick the endnote to footnote choice and fill in the blanks with the right format. Add section breaks using the previously described method. Combine all the chapters using the previously described method. Convert all footnotes to endnotes using the references, footnotes choose convert method, but now in reverse.

I am using Microsoft Office Professional Plus 13.

At least this worked for me.

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne S. Barnhill View Post

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Combine the documents and select "Restart each section" in the Endnote
dialog. Note that this will work only if each chapter is a single

section.

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org

newsgroup so