Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
thelisha thelisha is offline

Default Using Small Caps in the Define New Multilevel List - Word 2007

Hi Group,
I have a question about using Small Caps in the €śDefine new Multilevel list€ť
feature in Word 2007. Whew, say that three times fast! Okay, here is my
situation. I have a manual that has several chapters within it and the page
numbers are written like this: 1-1. Meaning Section 1, page 1. The
titles/headings of the chapters written like this: Section 1, Section 2, etc.
Using Styles I am able to make changes in the €śDefine new Multilevel list€ť
feature, and I have set up the word €śSection€ť to automatically appear at the
beginning of each chapter when I use the Heading 1 style. The problem I have
is I cannot format the word €śSection€ť as I wish. The Small Caps option is
grayed out and I am unable to check this feature. It is so weird because
every other option is there in the Font options box, even All Caps. Has
anyone ever experienced this? Hope this was clear, please let me know if I
need to clarify what it is I am trying to do. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Thelisha

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Unfortunately, this is a known limitation of Word.

"thelisha" wrote in message
Hi Group,
I have a question about using Small Caps in the "Define new Multilevel
list"
feature in Word 2007. Whew, say that three times fast! Okay, here is my
situation. I have a manual that has several chapters within it and the
page
numbers are written like this: 1-1. Meaning Section 1, page 1. The
titles/headings of the chapters written like this: Section 1, Section 2,
etc.
Using Styles I am able to make changes in the "Define new Multilevel list"
feature, and I have set up the word "Section" to automatically appear at
the
beginning of each chapter when I use the Heading 1 style. The problem I
have
is I cannot format the word "Section" as I wish. The Small Caps option is
grayed out and I am unable to check this feature. It is so weird because
every other option is there in the Font options box, even All Caps. Has
anyone ever experienced this? Hope this was clear, please let me know if I
need to clarify what it is I am trying to do. Any help would be
appreciated!

Thanks,
Thelisha

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
thelisha thelisha is offline

Hi Suzanne,
Thanks for your response. I thought this would not be a difficult thing to
do. At least I know it wasn't something I had done with Word. Do you know if
they plan on fixing this or is it just one of those weird Word things?
Thanks,
Thelisha

"thelisha" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Marie Gee Marie Gee is offline

Default I suspect it's just one of those weird Word things.-- Suzanne S.

Actually, "it's just one of those weird Word things" is a completely unacceptable answer. It's a glitch to put it nicely. A programmer didn't do his or her job fully.

We (people who do documents for a living!) need this! Fix it, Microsoft.

This was first posted in '08. I am encountering this problem now (only because I am now employed from 08 and hadn't used these features in years). I've had my template built -- using small caps in Heading 1 and now can't get my Appendices Heading 1 (aka Heading 6) to match. Ridiculous. So much for automation. Perhaps I'll have to resort to typing those by hand. Ugh.

On Tuesday, March 11, 2008 10:25 AM thelish wrote:

Hi Suzanne,
Thanks for your response. I thought this would not be a difficult thing to
do. At least I know it wasn't something I had done with Word. Do you know if
they plan on fixing this or is it just one of those weird Word things?
Thanks,
Thelisha

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On Tuesday, March 11, 2008 1:40 PM Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

I suspect it is just one of those weird Word things.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Word simply doesn't support small caps formatting for paragraph numbers (even if those "numbers" may contain static text as well). It appears to be a design choice rather than a bug.

As a workaround, you could format the number as uppercase and in a smaller font (say 12 pt if the font of the rest of the paragraph is 14 pt). It'll make the formatting look a little better. The alternative is to abandon small caps formatting for all of your headings.

Also, note that most people posting here don't work for Microsoft. In particular, MVPs don't.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP