Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
lariveesl[_2_] lariveesl[_2_] is offline

Default view single page

Word 2003 on Win XP

I would like to set my zoom to 75. But when I do, I get a side by side view
of two pages at a time. I have to go over 84% on my computer to view in a
single page view. As soon as I drop under 84%, I see the side by side view
again. When I go to Zoom and try to set the view to one page in the center
of the screen, it goes to 67%. When I try to increase that to 75 or so, I
am back to the side by side view.

What am I doing wrong? This is a little thing but it bothers me that I
can't control things!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If you narrow the window, Word will show just one page when zooming to 75%.
I normally see just one at 75%, and had to widen the window substantially
before it went to two.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"lariveesl" wrote in message
Word 2003 on Win XP

I would like to set my zoom to 75. But when I do, I get a side by side
view of two pages at a time. I have to go over 84% on my computer to view
in a single page view. As soon as I drop under 84%, I see the side by
side view again. When I go to Zoom and try to set the view to one page in
the center of the screen, it goes to 67%. When I try to increase that to
75 or so, I am back to the side by side view.

What am I doing wrong? This is a little thing but it bothers me that I
can't control things!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
lariveesl[_2_] lariveesl[_2_] is offline

I don't know what you mean by narrow the window. Do you mean the whole Word
program window? Is there no way to keep the Word window maximized, set the
view to 75%, and just see one page??

"lariveesl" wrote in message
Word 2003 on Win XP

I would like to set my zoom to 75. But when I do, I get a side by side
view of two pages at a time. I have to go over 84% on my computer to
view in a single page view. As soon as I drop under 84%, I see the side
by side view again. When I go to Zoom and try to set the view to one
page in the center of the screen, it goes to 67%. When I try to increase
that to 75 or so, I am back to the side by side view.

What am I doing wrong? This is a little thing but it bothers me that I
can't control things!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

On the View ribbon, click on Zoom to open the Zoom dialog. On the right,
click on the down arrow attached to Many Pages button. Click on the top left
hand icon and it will then display 1 x 1. Check the 75% button and close the
dialog. Close Word and it will now remember the setting for a new blank
document. But note that documents remember the previous setting when they
were closed, so opening documents may open differently until you have
changed them.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"lariveesl" wrote in message
Word 2003 on Win XP

I would like to set my zoom to 75. But when I do, I get a side by side
view of two pages at a time. I have to go over 84% on my computer to
view in a single page view. As soon as I drop under 84%, I see the side
by side view again. When I go to Zoom and try to set the view to one
page in the center of the screen, it goes to 67%. When I try to
increase that to 75 or so, I am back to the side by side view.

What am I doing wrong? This is a little thing but it bothers me that I
can't control things!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Whether you see one page or two at a certain zoom level depends on the size
of the Word window, which in turn depends on the screen size and resolution.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"lariveesl" wrote in message
Word 2003 on Win XP

I would like to set my zoom to 75. But when I do, I get a side by side
view of two pages at a time. I have to go over 84% on my computer to
view in a single page view. As soon as I drop under 84%, I see the side
by side view again. When I go to Zoom and try to set the view to one
page in the center of the screen, it goes to 67%. When I try to
increase that to 75 or so, I am back to the side by side view.

What am I doing wrong? This is a little thing but it bothers me that I
can't control things!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Stefan

I believe you may be correct as the screen size and resolution is dictation
how many pages are displayed. I'm using a 22" screen at 1680 x 1050 and find
that 100% shows 2 pages, but fortunately, 101% forces it back to 1 page
(though I use 110% as my default). I also suspect that the printer driver
may affect this too.

This is quite frustrating because I thought that in previous versions you
could force the one page view independently of your preferred zoom setting.

Terry

"lariveesl" wrote in message
Word 2003 on Win XP

I would like to set my zoom to 75. But when I do, I get a side by side
view of two pages at a time. I have to go over 84% on my computer to
view in a single page view. As soon as I drop under 84%, I see the
side
by side view again. When I go to Zoom and try to set the view to one
page in the center of the screen, it goes to 67%. When I try to
increase that to 75 or so, I am back to the side by side view.

What am I doing wrong? This is a little thing but it bothers me that I
can't control things!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I've had "issues" with Print Preview even in Word 2003 on Windows XP with a
3:4 screen. Occasionally it wants to show two pages (or *won't* show two
pages) regardless of the "multiple pages" setting.

http://word.mvps.org

"lariveesl" wrote in message
Word 2003 on Win XP

I would like to set my zoom to 75. But when I do, I get a side by
side
view of two pages at a time. I have to go over 84% on my computer to
view in a single page view. As soon as I drop under 84%, I see the
side
by side view again. When I go to Zoom and try to set the view to one
page in the center of the screen, it goes to 67%. When I try to
increase that to 75 or so, I am back to the side by side view.

What am I doing wrong? This is a little thing but it bothers me that
can't control things!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
lariveesl[_2_] lariveesl[_2_] is offline

Thank you for all the help with this. I have followed the advice but do not
see an easy answer. It appears that the screen size/resolution can override
the Word settings. Not a major problem but annoying that it can not easily
be controlled.

Thanks again.