laurie_g

Default NEED to open Word 8.0 on PC - Word 2003!!

Hello
Is there any way that I can open a Word file created on a MAC (Word 8.0) on
my PC (Word 2003)??? I no longer have access to the Mac and am desperate to
open these files. Is there a MAC-PC converter out there that I don't know
about?

Thanks
Laurie
Daiya Mitchell

MacWord 8 was Word 98, and it's the same file format as WinWord. Making sure
the file has the .doc extension or using File | Open from within Word should
work fine.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Laurie,

MS Word 98 (v8) for the MAC is comparable to
Windows Word 97 (v8) and stil uses the same
basic file format through MS Word 2003 (v11).

There may an issue if you are using a MAC formatted
PC that isn't compatible with the Windows disk format
in which case you may need a 3rd party disk conversion/
reader utility to move the files to your hard drive.

If you can copy the document file to your hard drive
turn on [x] Confirm Conversions on open
in Tools=Options=General before you use
File=Open in Word 2003. What file format does
Word 2003 'see'?

=======
"laurie_g" wrote in message ...
Hello
Is there any way that I can open a Word file created on a MAC (Word 8.0) on
my PC (Word 2003)??? I no longer have access to the Mac and am desperate to
open these files. Is there a MAC-PC converter out there that I don't know
about?

Thanks
Laurie
--
Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Office 2003 Editions explained
http://www.microsoft.com/uk/office/editions.mspx

CyberTaz

Hi Laurie-

Opening the files should not be a problem. Copy them to your hard drive as a
precaution. From within Word go to your Open dialog box & navigate to the
folder where you stored the copies. If they appear, open as normal. If not,
at the bottom of the Open db select Word 6.0/95 for Windows & Macintosh
(*.doc). If you still can't see them, post back with detailed results.

Just keep in mind that being able to open them doesn't mean they will look
exactly as you might expect. Some reformatting may be necessary, but the
content should be intact.

HTH |:)

"laurie_g" wrote:

Hello
Is there any way that I can open a Word file created on a MAC (Word 8.0) on
my PC (Word 2003)??? I no longer have access to the Mac and am desperate to
open these files. Is there a MAC-PC converter out there that I don't know
about?

Thanks
Laurie

laurie_g

Hi
I appreciate all the help I'm receiving to this post. I've already copied
the files to the hard drive. I've opened Word and then selected Word 6.0/95
for Windows and Macintosh but then the files become unavailable.

The closest I've come to opening is "recover text from any file". This is a
science fair project from a student. She'd emailed it to herself here at
school because her printer broke at home. She may have to salvage what she
can from the "recover..." text that I've managed to get.

thanks again
laurie

"laurie_g" wrote:

Hello
Is there any way that I can open a Word file created on a MAC (Word 8.0) on
my PC (Word 2003)??? I no longer have access to the Mac and am desperate to
open these files. Is there a MAC-PC converter out there that I don't know
about?

Thanks
Laurie

CyberTaz

Hello Again-

Looks like I was crawling along the keyboard while a few others were
offering much the same. Didn't realize you had gone to such extents until I
read back a few minutes ago.

If you still have the original Mac files on a Mac-formatted disk you might
want to take a look at;

http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive6/

which is relatively inexpensive if you are as desperate as you say, and it
_may_ help. I can't remember if there was anything about earlier Word
versions that generated resource forks on Mac files, but if so that could be
the problem.

Unfortunately even a program such as mentioned above will not help once the
files have been copied to a PC formatted disk because PCs don't support
resorce forks at all. They simply get ignored when copied to PC-formatted
media.

Good Luck |:)

"laurie_g" wrote:

Hello
Is there any way that I can open a Word file created on a MAC (Word 8.0) on
my PC (Word 2003)??? I no longer have access to the Mac and am desperate to
open these files. Is there a MAC-PC converter out there that I don't know
about?

Thanks
Laurie

Graham Mayor

There are a couple of other issues to explore here also.

1. Never ever read from, write to or print from floppy with Word. This is
the most certain method of ensuring document corruption. Copy to the hard
disc and work on the document from there. If the document has already been
opened from that floppy it will probably be necessary to begin again. If
copying to floppy do so from the hard drive and not from Word. If the
original document is still intact then it should be possible to do something
with it.

2. Uncompressed Word documents sent by e-mail are frequently corrupted. Get
your correspondent to resend the document in a compressed format - on the PC
Winzip would do the trick, but I have no knowledge of macs so do not know
what format could be used that Windows could de-compress.

If you wish, you could e-mail it (the original) too me via the link on my
web site.

Non .doc files Tino New Users 12 March 9th 05 09:43 AM
word 2003 cannot open certain files created in version 2000 or 200 EHRHARDT Microsoft Word Help 2 January 12th 05 04:17 AM
Word 2003 is taking 25 seconds to open a small 22k document JerryAustin Microsoft Word Help 5 January 7th 05 09:42 PM