Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PhilB PhilB is offline

Default adding headers and footers to a word document

I have been working for most of several days to accomplish one thing, which
is still eluding me. I am working with Word 2003.

I have written a novel. I have broken it into two sections. The first
section contains the front matter with lower case Roman numerals. The second
section contains Arabic numerals. Both sections have 'different first page'
checked off on page layout and they look fine.

What I am now attempting to do is Put the title of the book on odd pages and
the author name on the even pages. I have tried everything I can possibly
think of, and chased down innumerable tutorials on the Internet for doing
this. As with the other sections, I am attempting to leave Title off the
first page.

I have been playing with adding sections, turning the 'same as previous' on
and off, 'different odd and even', etc. but still, no matter what I do, I end
up messing up what I have previously done.

I would GREATLY appreciate a step by step instruction on how to accomplish
the foregoing. By using that, I will be able to determine what I did or did
not do correctly. I am at wits end, and would appreciate whatever help you
can give me.

Phil Birmingham

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PhilB PhilB is offline

Suzanne

I have been to countless sites, read countless FAQ's and various articles on
this particular question. I have also been to training and forums at
Microsoft Office. I download and print the articles and attempt to add the
author and title, only to have it mess up the numbering. Isn't there
somehwere to get a step by step to do what I want to do? Only then will I be
able to determine what box I am checking or not checking, etc. I can format
for page numbers, make the first page different and break the document into
front and main text with different numbering system. When I try to use
'different page', etc. to add the author and title, everything gets screwed
up. Contrary to what might seem obvious, I am intelligent and have a better
than average vocabulary, but this thing is eluding me somehow. I'm sorry to
be a pest, but I have followed whatever leads you and others have directed me
to. I need a step by step, it's as simple as that.

"PhilB" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PhilB PhilB is offline

Second reply. I just realized my question got posted multiple times on this
forum. I submitted only one. Apparently I can't even get that right.

"PhilB" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Did you see my reply to your first posting? I think if you read those
referenced articles things will become clearer, but here are the essentials:

1. You can have up to three different headers/footers in any section: First
Page Header, Even Page Header, Odd Page Header. When you check the box for
"Different first page," you can apply it to a specific section or the entire
document. "Different odd and even," when enabled, applies to the whole
document.

2. Except when using a StyleRef field in a header (see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm), you will need to add a
section break every time you want to change the content of any one of these
three headers/footers, *and* you must unlink that header/footer in the new
section from the corresponding one in the previous section.

3. If you want to have different running heads on recto and verso pages, you
need to check "Different odd and even." If you want to omit the head on the
first page of a chapter, you need to check "Different first page."

4. Generally speaking, if your running heads will be mostly the same
throughout the document (or will use a StyleRef field to pick up the chapter
title), it's easier to insert their content *before* inserting the section
breaks (or at least before unlinking the headers if required).

Again, I refer you to these articles:

http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The answer the fourth time is the same as the first, q.v.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"PhilB" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PhilB PhilB is offline

Suzanne

Yes, I did see your first reply. I didn't understand your statement, 'the
fourth time' until I realized my original post ended up being posted 4 times.
I went to all the links you gave me(and I have been to yours before).
Obviously I am doing something wrong, but I have tried every combination I
can think of, all without the desired result. I go over each step two or
three times to be sure I am doing it correctly. When I insert a new section,
put in the odd page header and even page header, and check 'different odd and
even', the numbering in the footer gets changed as well and alternates
between a number and a blank, i.e., page one blank footer, page 2 numbered,
page 3 blank, page 4 numbered, etc. I want the author/title for just the
main document, beginning with chapter one, and without any changes to the
numbering in the front and main body of the text.
In reading over your latest reply, you said, 'Different odd and even, when
enabled applies to the whole document. Is that the answer? I cannot have it
only on the main text in the book? I know you are answering many of these
questions for many posters, and that you are volunteering your time. It was
your assistance in the past that enabled me to number my book with separate
front and main text and omit the numbers on the first page of each.
Numbering is now a snap because of your article.
I am so sorry for this long post, but I just wish, instead of general
instructions,or referrals to links, I could get a step by step to add the
author/title and without disturbing the rest of the document. I will not
bother you any more with this. You are the only one who has responded
previously (and often) and who has been of any help to me. I just want to
get on with my writing and not spend days and days on this one issue. I'm
going to be 74 in December and I find my frustration level is very low these
days. Thank you for your past help.
Phil Birmingham

"PhilB" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

First of all, if you're using Insert | Page Numbers to add page numbers,
don't! If you have previously done so, go through and delete all the page
numbers. Unfortunately, Word doesn't provide an easy way to do this (for
example, there's no "None" selection in the Insert | Page Numbers dialog
that will remove existing page numbers), and you have to be sure you get the
frame along with the PAGE field (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...lyIndented.htm)

Now, realize that adding page numbers to the Odd Page Footer doesn't affect
the Even Page Footer and vice versa. You have to do it manually both places,
using the Insert Page Number button on the Header and Footer toolbar. Format
the page numbers using the Format Page Number button; if you set numbering
to restart in the section after your front matter, then it may continue to
restart in each succeeding section you add unless you change to "Continue
from previous section."

"PhilB" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PhilB PhilB is offline

I've just spent several hours trying to use the comments in your last post.
Maybe if I approach this differently, I may be able to get it right. At the
moment, my document has front and main text with different number formats and
both have a different first page. Both are formatted fine and I have two
sections to my document. The three things I want to accomplish are to have
the front matter numbered in Roman with a different first page, the main text
numberred in Arabic with a different first page, and finally the main
document showing different odd and even page headers (author/title.)

Should I do the author/title first or the numbering?
Should I end up with three break insertions, one for the front matter
numbering, one for the Arabic numbering and one for the odd and even page
headers?

"PhilB" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It sounds as if this document needs only one section break, between the
front matter and the main document, unless you have numerous chapters and
want a different first page in each one (which can be attacked later). Start
by deleting *all* section breaks in your document. Then go to
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm and carefully
follow the instructions, inserting a section break when instructed.

Assuming you have already enabled "Different first page" and "Different odd
and even," keep in mind that you will have to use Show Next (or Show
Previous) more than once to skip from, say, the First Page Footer in section
1 to the First Page Footer in section 2 (and if you don't have at least
three pages in section 1, you'll need to add pages temporarily to get access
to all three headers/footers). You must insert a PAGE field (using Insert
Page Number) in *both* the Odd Page Footer and the Even Page Footer. If you
want the placement to be different on facing pages, then align the PAGE
field using either paragraph alignment (if the header/footer doesn't contain
other text) or the built-in tab stops.

I think that you *can* figure this out provided you pay attention to the
header/footer label when you're working. It will say, for example, "Even
Page Header - Section 2." Make sure you are in the right header/footer
before you add text or PAGE fields.

"PhilB" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PhilB PhilB is offline

I just followed the instructions on your last post. I removed all page
numbers and sections and went to the link given and formatted front and main
document with page numbers, both with a 'different first page' to omit the
numbers there. I then went to main document, inserted section break (next
page), and did this. At this juncture, I have two sections in the document,
and my insertion point is at the beginning of chapter one.
1. I clicked on 'VIEW HEADER AND FOOTER'
2. I clicked on LAYOUT and checked off DIFFERENT ODD AND EVEN and left the
box checked for DIFFERENT FIRST PAGE.
3.I typed the title of the book and aligned it right
4. I clicked on SHOW NEXT and got to the even page header. I typed the
author name, which was already aligned left as desired.
5. I clicked on SWITCH TO FOOTER and it brought me to 'First page Footer.'
6. I used the insert button to insert numbers (1,2,3) and aligned them center
7. I clicked on SHOW NEXT to get to the 'Even page Footer.'
8. I used the insert button and inserted the numbers again (1,2,3) and
aligned center.
9. I closed the header and footer toolbar.

Here is the result.

1. In the main document, the first page has the book title (not supposed to)
2. The second page (page 2) has the author name aligned left, as idesired.
3. The numbering is 1,2,3, includes the first page.(not supposed to)

As for section 1.

4. The front matter has the author on the even pages
5. The front matter has no title showing on the odd pages.

"PhilB" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It would appear that you put the book title in the Section 1 header instead
of Section 2. It also sounds like you inserted page numbers twice.

What I'm not clear on is this:

I removed all page
numbers and sections and went to the link given and formatted front and

main
document with page numbers, both with a 'different first page' to omit the
numbers there. I then went to main document, inserted section break (next
page), and did this.

If you haven't yet inserted a section break, then you cannot format page
numbers or anything else in the header or footer for "front and main
document..., both with a 'different first page' because you don't yet have
separate sections for these portions.

Send me the document with instructions on what you want in the various
headers and footers, and I will fix it.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The answer the fourth time is the same as the first, q.v.

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"PhilB" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PhilB PhilB is offline

Suzanne
This is in answer to your last post asking me to send the document to you.
First, let me say how much I appreciate your patience and forbearance with
me. I know you are answering many other posts. The good news is I have
finally done it. What threw me off was following the step by step in the
referred links. They work fine for separate purposes (just page numbering,
for example) but to accomplish my three goals of different numbering,
different first pages and author/title headers,it took a different route. I
now have two sections in the document, which is all you said I would need.
Here are my settings that I finally ended up with. I did have to manually
delete a few things after it was all set up, but the document is exactly the
way I want it now.

I have two sections.
1. The section break for section 2 is for 'next page' and not 'odd page.'
2. Under the layout tab for BOTH sections, it says different first page and
different odd and even. (I had been trying to uncheck the different odd and
even for the numbering layout.)
3. I broke links to previous sections on each of the odd and even header and
footer panes and also broke link to previous section on the footer for
section two.

I'm not sure if it follows suggested protocol, but it works.

Once again, I thank you so much for your help, and for staying with me on
this and for your offer to format the document for me. It's above and beyond.

Phil Birmingham

The answer the fourth time is the same as the first, q.v.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As I said somewhere in at least one (perhaps both) of the referenced
articles, "Different first page" is a per-section setting, but "Different
odd or even" is all or nothing--it's set for the entire document.

The problems you were having, in trying to do too many things at once,
mostly arose from a failure to understand how headers and footers and
section breaks work. I kept hoping if you would reread the Header and Footer
article enough times, something would sink in. g