Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
xppuser xppuser is offline

Default page number does not appear

hi all,

office 2003 pro sp2 and wxp pro sp2,

i have a problem that i cannot seem to rectify and would therefore
appreciate advice/help to find out what's the problem and how to solve it.

i have a word document, i did Insert - Page Numbers - Position: Bottom of
page (Footer), Alignment: Right, and Show number of first page unticked. well
for some reasons, numbering only starts on page 7, which was correctly
numbered as page 7. when i clicked on the number itself i.e. page number 7,
which incidentally is shaded grey, a box appeared with a title of Footer -
Section 6. here's the strange bit - if i use Header and Footer tool bar to
manually insert the page number, the page number would appear but on page 7,
there will be two numbers, one, which i presumed from Insert - Page Numbers
and one from the Header and Footer.

i found http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/PageNumbering.htm when i googled
this problem but unfortunately when i tried to use {Page} what happened next
baffled me even more... page 1 would appear on page 1 except that i do not
want page 1 number to appear on the first page. page 2 right through to 6
correctly numbered but on page 7, there is no page 7. what there is, was a
'{Page...}' shaded grey.

i hope my description was not too confusing! if it was, please do let me
know which bit(s) and i shall try to describe it again. thank you for your
advice/help.

jes
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If this is section 6, then Word is doing just what you told it to: it's
putting no page number on the first page of sections 1-5 (pages 1-6), then
putting a page number on the second page of section 6. You probably need to
figure out why you have five section breaks in the first six pages.

"xppuser" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
xppuser xppuser is offline

hi suzanne,

thank you again for your reply. i have trialled a bit using page break
instead of section break and adding page numbering. i never quite realise
that section break would fundementally affect the page numbering system. it
is quite amazing that i have been using words for some years now (perhaps
wrongly) by always using section breaks rather than page break to break up
pages because (seems to me from early on - which is probably why the (bad)
habit developed eversince) breaks using section breaks just seemed to be more
'versatile' somehow compared to page breaks.

do you how a general advice when to use page break and when to use section
break? in the recent massive document that i completed there were (probably
needless in retrospect) hundreds of section break where i suppose page break
would suffice.

again thank you,
jes

"xppuser" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I rarely use page breaks at all (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TextReflow.htm for some tips on
controlling text flow without them). When I do need page breaks, I use a
style (Heading 1 usually) formatted as "Page break before." I use section
breaks where they are needed in order to change page size or orientation,
margins, number of columns, etc. In books with chapter, I use a section
break between chapters so that I can take advantage of the "Different first
page" header in each chapter.

news

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If this is section 6, then Word is doing just what you told it to: it's
putting no page number on the first page of sections 1-5 (pages 1-6),

then
putting a page number on the second page of section 6. You probably need

figure out why you have five section breaks in the first six pages.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"xppuser" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
xppuser xppuser is offline

hi suzanne,

thank you for your link and advice. it's useful.

jes

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Glad I could help.