Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tengu Tengu is offline

Default Word 2007 Styles

I've been redefining styles in Word 2007 but they never seem to take. When I
restart the program it always goes back to the default style set and
selections. The new style I've created doesnt' even show up on the style
palette.

Can someone please tell me how to save my new styles in the normal template
so they're available to all newly created documents? I find this function
much less intuitive than in previous versions of Word. I've never had
problems with managing styles before.
Elliot Berlin
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

IIRC, It may be that in 2007 the default setting is to save the style (or
changes to them) in the *current* document. The style travels with the doc,
but it doesn't gt saved to Normal.dot by default. Pay particular attention
to the dialog's bottom - I don't recall the exact wording & don't have a
system running '07 available at the moment, but I believe the choice is
displayed as option (radio) buttons. I'm sure that was done to prevent
inexperienced users from innundating Normal.dot with scads of "once-only"
styles & inadvertent changes to others.

If there's more to the issue please post back with more detail - any
feedback on '07 is quite usefull to all in the newsgroups.
--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"Tengu" wrote in message
I've been redefining styles in Word 2007 but they never seem to take.
When I
restart the program it always goes back to the default style set and
selections. The new style I've created doesnt' even show up on the style
palette.

Can someone please tell me how to save my new styles in the normal
template
so they're available to all newly created documents? I find this function
much less intuitive than in previous versions of Word. I've never had
problems with managing styles before.
Elliot Berlin

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tengu Tengu is offline

Thanks for your reply. What you describe makes sense because I can redefine
styles in the current document but they don't migrate to newly created docs.
I've looked pretty hard for an option to save a style to the root document
template but at this point, if such an option is there, I think I need
someone to point me to it. I don't seem to be able to locate it. My only
interest is in setting up styles that I can use in all subsequent documents.
Elliot

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tengu Tengu is offline

I believe that's more a workaround than a solution. I think it would be
very odd for the software engineers to have completely removed the
opportunity for users to do any universal customization of styles.

This won't work for me because I have already have a number of templates for
specific purposes but really don't want to have to use a new document from
template command either every time I start a new doc or everytime I want to
begin a document formatted in the way I'm currently concerned about. Mostly
I'll use this to create new docs with a pre-formatted heading. But I want to
take advantage of the style palette's ability to revert to normal formatting
after the opening line or paragraph simply by hitting the return key.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Perhaps it would be easier just to create a document template from scratch?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
srd srd is offline

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 13:34:03 -0800, CyberTaz
typegeneraltaz1ATcomcastdotnet wrote:

IIRC, It may be that in 2007 the default setting is to save the style (or
changes to them) in the *current* document.

How does it work in Word 2003? There's a check box to save style to
template. Which template? If a hierarchy of templates is loaded, how does
Word 2003 decide?

Stephen R. Diamond
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

The style is saved to the attached template (as seen in the Tools |
Templates and Add-Ins dialog box).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"srd" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 13:34:03 -0800, CyberTaz
typegeneraltaz1ATcomcastdotnet wrote:

IIRC, It may be that in 2007 the default setting is to save the

style (or
changes to them) in the *current* document.

How does it work in Word 2003? There's a check box to save style to
template. Which template? If a hierarchy of templates is loaded, how

does
Word 2003 decide?

Stephen R. Diamond

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nik Nik is offline

Apologies for opening this thread again, but I am rather struggling due to my
own ignorance.

Using Word 2007 I have managed to set my paragraphs to have a 1.27 indent on
the first line (which my publisher expects). Using the previous posts I have
successfully set the default indent across the normal template, which is
great.

However, this doesn't just indent only paragraph text, but every single line
of text even if it is not a paragraph specifically.

For example, chapter headings are indented. The title is indented. I see
these are based upon basic "paragraphs" but this behaviour isn't what I
expected. What am I doing wrong for titles to indent so?

Is there a way to undo this behaviour yet retain the paragraph formatting?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I would suggest that you use heading styles for your headings and the Body
Text First Indent style (as modified to have your preferred indent) for your
body text.

http://word.mvps.org

"Nik" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gr8auntieokie gr8auntieokie is offline

Did you set the 1.27 indent on your Normal style? If so, and if all your
other styles are based on Normal style (which is how we set up styles in our
office), then the 1.27 indent will apply itself to _all_ your styles. But if,
as Suzanne suggested, you use Heading styles for your headings (whether or
not they're numbered; auto-numbered styles do not actually have to be
numbered in order to work in an outline format), and if you set the 1.27
indent for a specific paragraph text style (such as Body Text First Indent,
etc.), and do not put the 1.27 indent in styles like plain ol' Body Text,
you'll be able to make your text do what YOU want it to instead of feeling
like a victim of styles.

Cyndie Browning
GableGotwals
Tulsa, OK